Epilogue

I stand at the island, looking towards the dining table filled with the ducks. I smile as I finish cutting up the rest of the lettuce and putting it into the salad bowl. Adam leans over and bumps his hip with mine, making me turn to look at him.

"It's nice having everyone here for once. Nobody cancelled or said they couldn't make it." Adam whispers, looking between me and the table.

"It is nice." I reply, looking back towards the table watching them all talk and catch up over drinks and appetizers.

After we all graduated, we tried our best to stay in touch as much as we could. The first few years were easier but as life happened, it got harder. People were either off traveling, at college getting degrees or playing hockey. It wasn't until Adam and I got married last year that we all got back into contact with eachother.

Every year since we moved into this house, around 4 years ago, we hosted a friends giving. It was easy because it always happened a few days before the real thanksgiving so it never really overlapped with the ducks family plans. It's been almost 8 years since we graduated, and I am amazed at how far each of us has come.

Charlie and Julie stopped playing hard to get and got together a few months before we all left for college. They made long distance work and Julie eventually came back here to live with him. Charlie told me that he plans to propose to her, and I even helped pick out the ring.

Guy and Connie went to the same college. They got married early, and have lived here too this whole time. The only baby they have is a fur one, though something tells me that it won't be like that for long.

Ken went back home for college, and got a degree in teaching. He's been a teacher at his old high school since. He has a "lady friend" but wont let us meet her yet. He also teaches figure skating and has lead the figure skating team to win some championships.

Dean came to the school shortly after he heard what happened with me. One weekend in the summer, we went back to Chicago to see Kate and Donnie. After graduation, Dean ended up going back to Chicago to go to school to become a police officer. He comes to visit lots still when he isn't working.

Goldberg and Averman ended up opening up their own restaurant and have actually made lots of money with it. They made it a franchise so now you can find it in a few different states. They dated a few people, but never seemed to be interested in making it long term.

Fulton played college hockey and ended up making it to the NHL with Adam. Fulton only played a few years when a dirty hit on the ice left him injured, and he decided then that he had his time and it wasn't for him. He now has a degree in sports journalism and is now a sports broadcaster for the NHL.

Dwayne went back home to inherit the family ranch from his father. It wasn't long until he was married as well. She couldn't make it here today as she flew home early to surprise her parents. Dwayne talks about her as if she's the sun and he desperately needs heat. It's adorable, and they are perfect for eachother.

Luis played college hockey while he got a degree in psychology. After that, he travelled a bit before he came back to be a psychologist, and he's a damn good one too. He just opened up in his own practice here in Minnesota. He helped me through a lot of stuff when I couldn't get ahold of my counsellor. He's always been there for me, and he was even one of my bridesmaids at my wedding.

Adam was drafted and plays NHL hockey for Minnesota. I got a degree in business, and have started thinking about law school like my dad. Speaking of which, he found somebody and married her my second year in college. She's a lovely woman and she makes him happy, and that's all I ever wanted for him.

A wet nose presses against my arm, and I look down to see our golden retriever who was followed by our other one.

"Hello babies." I say as I lean down to pet both of them. I stand back up and mix up the salad. "Okay everybody, it's all ready, come dish up!" I shout and everybody gets up from the table. I grab my wine glass that was still full and walk off to go wash my hands quickly in the bathroom. While I'm in there, I dump the rest of my wine down the drain and walk back out.

I watch as everybody fills their plates and make their way back to the table to sit and eat.

During supper, we all talked and caught up some more, and had plenty of laughs. We remembered moments during the Goodwill games, laughed about our senior prank on the Dean.

After supper was cleared and dishes were filled to be sent home, everybody headed out. Adam and I were sat on the couch beside each other, our dogs sitting beside us. It was peaceful. It was time.

"Adam honey." I say, looking over at him. He turns to face me with a smile plastered on his face. His one hand placed on my thigh and the other rubbing the dogs ear.

"Yeah?" He asks. He has no idea what's coming.

"I think I'm pregnant."