viii.

"'Cause I would hate to tie you down, yeah

"'Cause I would hate to tie you down, yeah. I'm nothing but a second."

━━━

One day I decided I had enough, and I was ready to loose everything in case you couldn't accept me as someone I want you to. I remember it was just a regular day but for me, it was a very important day since for the first time, I had managed to gather enough guts to confess.

It was a lunch break, we and our friends sitting together having a fun time. Though I was sitting there, I was mentally absent as I tried to think of ways I could slowly break the news to you, a bit sure that you'd agree to my proposal and we would be living as the couple I had always dreamed of. I clearly remember I left a bit early so that I could prepare myself and told you to meet me at my locker before our next class, soon enough standing there and waiting for you to come.

Minutes had passed by, making me believe perhaps you had forgotten which resulted in me going back to the cafeteria, only to be met by people cheering and shouting. I pushed through and saw you being a blushing mess as you asked out the girl you had crush on, her accepting your proposal instantly because of course, who would reject such a charming boy like you?

Tears had already made their way down my cheek by the time you turned around and saw me, gleaming with joy that you had done it— asking out the girl which you always joked about and like a fool I always have been, I believed it.

It was almost as if I had lost a game, just that the looser had to pay the price of a heartbreak.

You thought my tears were of joy for you because, right after school ended and you were supposed to head out with your new girlfriend, you hugged me tightly and told me how everyone deserved a friend like me.

Oh, how I wish I could tell you that besides being genuinely happy for you, a part of me had shattered like a ceramic vase would on dropping from a height, which would be then almost impossible to put back together.

━━━