🌸 MIRAGE : Chapter Three.

The letter.

"What do they do to the babies? What happens to them?" Xiang asked desperation in her voice. It better not be what i'm thinking. She thought, her gaze shifting to an heavily pregnant girl being dragged out by her hair. Though Xiang was quite used to scenarios like this she couldn't help but flinch as the torturer kicked the girl, mercilessly. Monster!

" The babies-" Chaun li was sober this time, a frown gazing her pretty features. " I don't know" The younger girl was close to tears "They just snatch them away, the moment they were born."
Xiang's hand wrapped protectively her bump, a defiant look on her face. "What happens to them?"

" The babies? I don't know much but I heard a little gossip from Ah kum"

Xiang's head snapped at that. Ah kum!

"She- they used her real bad. She was no different from a baby making machine. She tried to escape." She paused her eyes rarely solemn" we really can't leave here. It's-s prison."
Xiang face grew tenser by the minute. " What happened?"
"We woke up one day. She didn't. She was gone... At first we thought faceless did it. We resented him even more. he was angered. I-It was bloody." The younger blinked her wet eyes rapidly, fighting back tears. " I found the letter. she poisoned herself to death."

Xiang turned her gaze back to the discoloured walls. The Ah kum of this world was quite fierce. Nothing like the Ah kum she knew before. " The letter" in Chaun li outstretched hand was the letter. A tissue paper or so it seemed discoloured with sweat or was it pee?

After an hesitating silence. She finally took it unwrapping the fragile thing as gently as she could. She had barely read it when the huge metal door opened, grumbling as it did. Chaun li grabbed the letter, squeezing the tissue in her palms, instinctively. Xiang eyes widened with horror. How could a man be so evil.

A girl was being dragged in by her hair. Her body naked. Her skin from the abuse was bruised and bloody. The worst part was her face, bruised beyond recognition, skin Purple with evil blood° her right eye oozing with dried and fresh mucus, her other healthy eye was red from crying too long. In short, she looked horrible. Horribly pathetic.

" Keep shut" The man ordered, his voice booming. He kicked her back intentionally avoiding her stomach. She quietened, bending in foetus position, taking the beatings, obediently. She Was in great pain. Anyone could tell, but wouldn't dare help her. They were scared.

'Juan.' Chaun li stated abruptly. "Her parents owed them some huge money. The father took all the money and ran away. The poor mother gave her up, she was the oldest daughter. Eleven children. No money"

" Still... It's not fair "

Chaun li smiled bitterly. " Life wasn't never fair. It's good when we get the creamy part of the cake. It isn't when we get the tasteless crumbs right?" Xiang sighed, a stubborn look on her face. She Was never the type to bend easily. " If life truly isn't fair, W have to be fair"

Chaun li let out a brittle laugh. " Not everyone wants life to be fair. The likes of them..." She nudged her chin towards the man who was making his way towards the metal door.

As if the man sensed their resentful gazes, he turned sharply. His gaze intense. Xiang felt the younger freeze with shock. The man took a threatening step towards them. Xiang felt chaun li grip tighten on her cloth. She kept her gaze, not blinking, staring hard at the man's bloodshot eyes. Bastard what now? As if the man thought twice, he paused and walked away.

" Ah I almost died" Chaun li whispered, her palm on her chest.
Xiang only gave her a sympathetic look, then looked serious. " The letter" Chaun li didn't respond, hesitant. " If you really don't want to-" Xiang began to say. "No!" Chaun li shaked her head. " I'll give you" she placed the tissue on xiang expectant palm, shakily.

" Chaun li. You really don't have to. I could wait un-"

" I want you to read it. It is fragile. It was going too perish soon."

Giving up. Xiang finally unwrapped the tissue paper. Though the edges of the paper were tearing away, and the rough charcoal writing was fading, she could still make sense of what was written.

Born in home happy, rich, warm.
I never lacked anything.
I grew up happy- the happiest girl alive.
Life took the wrong turn.
A-ma got sick and died. Father became a fool°
Hungry greedy aunts and uncles took everything.
We were pushed to the streets.
Had to steal to eat.
Chased by the shop owners and the police.
Gege ran away. He was tired of us..the burden.
Left with liuliu barely three and lil brother just six.
The orphanages were full.
No space for us there..nor were they any in their hearts.

We were the forsaken once rich children.
Raped at fourteen, mother at fifteen.
More mouth to feed. I stole. I was caught. Two fingers cut off.
Liuliu was stolen. We had to move on.
He came nice and rich. Took us to his big house.
I thought it was over...the pain. An angel turned to a demon.
He took my baby and gave him to a barren friend.
He took my brother. Where? I don't know.
He slept with me every night, he got bored, sold me off.

His wealthier friend used me. He grew tired. He threw me away.
Half alive, tired and hungry.
They, the monsters, they took me away.
Sexed day and night. I birthed twelve children.
The monsters they took my babies away. Sold? Killed? Slaved?
I have no Idea.
I tried to be happy, but they never let go, the demons from the past. The demons was life itself.
So I let go.

A tear fell, then two, three, soon it made a hole in the already weak tissue. Xiang raised her tear stained eyes to meet Chaun Li's equally wet ones. Their eyes communicating. There was no need for words anyone.

1° Deoxygenated blood.