39.

Madiha had been crying for the last five days. Athar was trying to console her but couldn't, he was unable to focus on his work as well as other things because of Madiha's condition. Today she didn't go to the office as she wasn't feeling well just because of this stress, she hadn't gotten out of bed since morning. Athar made her tea before going to the office and now when he came back she was still at the same spot, the empty cup of tea was resting on the nightstand and the pillow was looking wet. 

"Madiha, get up.  Take a hot shower, change your clothes and come out of the room." he patted her arm and turned to go while picking up the empty cup from the table but she ignored it. After five minutes, he came back and found his wife in the same position.  He was already tired and frustrated for the last few days.

Tired because of his hectic schedule as well as rushing from one place to another place to see the lawyers and other legal formalities. Frustrated because Madiha was not supporting him. She was becoming weak with every passing moment.

"Madiha, get out of bed, I already turn on the geyser... Take a hot shower and you'll feel better." she didn't even open her eyes. Athar noticed tears rolling down from the corner of her eyes.  He felt anger rushing through his veins but somehow he controlled himself. 

"Madiha." sitting beside her he whispered and Madiha rested her head on his thigh. "Athar, I love you. I can't live without you." he caressed her hair and ran his fingers on her scalp. 

"We will live together.  Don't worry," he whispered but she was silently crying.  Athar took a deep breath and slightly pushed her has away from his lap. "Come on, let's go for a walk after dinner." he gestured for her to go to the bathroom to take a bath and free herself from these depressing thoughts, but she wasn't finding the energy to do anything. She was still crying and Athar lost his patience. 

"Madiha bas bohot ho gya. Thak gya hu main tumhe samjhate samjhate ki halaat se muqabla karo, roone se kuch nhi hota. Us insaan ne case kra hai na... Hum case lad lenge." he was shouting at his wife for the first time but Madiha gave him a disappointed look.

(It's enough Madiha. I'm tired of convincing you to fight against the circumstances, crying isn't a solution. That man has sued us, right? We'll fight this case.)

"Aap us insaan ko jaante nhi hain Athar, bohot power hai uske paas. Wo case jeet jayega."

(Athar, maybe you don't know how much power that man holds. He will win this case.)

"Jeetne do, hum high court jayenge, waha bhi jeet gya to supreme court jayenge. Waha bhi jeet gya tab bhi hum haar nhi manenge. Tumhe pta hai hum agar haare to kyu harenge? Tumhari wajah se Madiha, sirf or sirf tumhari wajah se kyuki tum ladne se pehle hi haar maan ke baith gyi ho. Wo insaan bhi jaanta hai ki tum usse kitna darti ho, isi liye dara rha hai tumhe, apne dar ko chhodo aur muqabla kro. Tum insaan ho koi samaan nhi ki court order de dega ki tumhe uske ghar me rakh diya jaye. Tumhari marzi ke bina tumhe koi kahi nhi le jaa sakta." Athar shouted out of rage and walked out of the room. Madiha was stunned, she never knew that this man could also shout so loudly. She believed that he was a polite man but he displayed his other side too. It was clear that he could get angry if came to his angry side. 

(So let him win, we will approach the high court, if he wins there we will approach the supreme court, but we won't give up even if he wins there too. You know what Madiha, we will lose only and only because of you because you're ready to lose without even battling. Kick your fear and fight against the odds. You're a human, not a lifeless material whose possession would be given to someone through the order of court. No one can take you anywhere without your will.)

<><><><>

Madiha was sitting silently for the last half an hour. She waited for Athar to come back but he did not come. After taking a shower she wore a comfortable nightgown, wrapped her wet hair in a towel and looked at herself through the mirror. She was the same Madiha who was so positive and bubbly in her early teenage years but now she was broken.