one

practice felt different. Kageyama wasn't the best at reading social cues or understanding when to be quiet, but he could tell that something seemed... well, odd.

kageyama could feel hinata staring a hole  through the back of his head the whole practice & yamaguchi was looking back and forth between him and Tsukishima with a menacing grin.

the upperclassmen, asahi, daichi, sugawara, nishinoya, and Tanaka exchanged confused looks between each other before hinata went up and whispered something in each of their ears before their faces lit up and they began pointing & staring at kageyama.

tsukishima, however, refused to even glance at kageyama. the taller boy didn't even engage in their usual bicker. kageyama tried his best, but no matter what insult he threw at kei, the blonde just shrugged it off and walked away. this was especially weird — since Tsukishima is usually the one to initiate arguments and push Kageyama to his limit.

kageyama just assumed he did something wrong and prepared to be lectured by his two coaches.

——————————————————————

finally, practice was ov-

"Kageyama!" Coach Takeda called from across the court. Kageyama yelled a quick "one second!" back before grabbing his belongings and walking over to Coach Takeda, who was sitting with Coach Ukai.

"yes?" kageyama sat down and prepared for a 40 minute lecture for something he had subconsciously done, but was met with two anxious, red faces instead.

"uhm... how should I say this?" coach Takeda muttered, "actually, Ukai has something to say!"

Ukai nudged Takeda in the side with his elbow and his face turned even more visibly red. "We wanted to ask you about... your uhhh.... 𝘳𝘦𝘭𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘩𝘪𝘱 with Tsukishima."

kageyama looked at them in confusion, "what do you mean?" he paused and then added, "I mean, we're friends I guess, well, we're actually more like frenemies — but our bickering is more lighthearted than it is disrespectful, if that's what you're worried about."

Kageyama had never thought about his relationship with Tsukishima before, but the more he thought about it the more he realized how much he actually enjoyed Tsukishima's company.

"well, we just wanted to uh," coach Ukai coughed, "let you guys know we are here if you ever need any advice."

"uh, okay? Thanks." Kageyama, although visibly confused, turned and left.

————————————————————————

the next day

after fourth period was over, kageyama headed over to the cafeteria, nearly tripping because of the crowd of kids rushing to be first in line.

he didn't really care for what they were serving food-wise, but he enjoyed the milk they served on Tuesdays because it was slightly cheaper and larger than the one at the vending machine.

as he was heading into the lunchroom, hinata pulled him aside and dragged him to the empty gym, where yamaguchi, yachi, and suga were waiting.

"what do you want? are we even allowed to be in here right now?" kageyama asked.

"Duh, suga has the key. Anyway," tobio swore he could see hinata eyes gleam for a split second like they did when he set him the ball before he said, "we wanted to ask what you think about Tsukishima"

"oh my god, the coaches asked me the same question yesterday. Why do I keep being asked this?" kageyama rolled his eyes and turned to leave, but Tsukishima was in the doorway.

Tsukishima's eyes lingered elsewhere for a second before focusing his attention on kageyama and asking, "can i speak to you alone?"

"ahem." suga cleared his throat loudly and announced that they (hinata, himself, yamaguchi, and yachi) were all going to leave, but they were still visibly watching through the floor vent.

Tsukishima sighed and grabbed Kageyama by the sleeve. and although confused, tobio allowed the blonde to take him off the campus and to a nearby coffee shop.

————————————————————————

not good at ending chapters unfortunately so this is my best attempt