୨ 00 | Love Note ୧

I love you to the moon and back.

Love,
Kaia Dahl

Kaia stared at the note. She folded it in half, but less than a second later she had unfolded it again. She read it over again. Then again, and again.

Kaia sighed. Love was so complicated, or at least it seemed. Kaia then remembered all the couples walking past her in the halls.  

"Kaia," Calista broke the silence and Kaia woke up from her wave of thoughts. "Do I get to read it?" Calista grinned at her best friend, "Or did I wait half an hour just to see you fold and unfold that note over and over again?" Kaia laughed.

Calista snatched the note and unfolded it like some barbaric animal. Kaia laughed and laid back on the bed. It seemed like forever while Calista read, but it wasn't Calista's fault.

Calista was autistic, and it took her a little longer to learn how to read and she still struggles with it. Then, after what felt like an eternity, Calista put the note down. 

"This is SO GOOD!" Calista hugged her best friend and started going off, "No way Zak can turn you down now. You-" Kaia stopped Calista.

She shook her head, "Calista. Of course he can turn me down. " Kaia no longer had a smile on her face. She was frowning. She wasn't upset but she was disappointed, even Calista couldn't help.

Calista lightly punched Kaia in the arm, "Don't say that," Calista looked up at Kaia's hazel eyes, "You put your heart and soul into that note. Also, you're like the girl of every guy's dreams." Kaia's smile returned.

"I don't even know how I'm gonna manage to give it to him without getting nervous." Kaia started picking at her long nails. Calista stopped her.

"First of all, don't pick at your nails. Those are some beautiful french tips." Kaia laughed, "Secondly, you just have to be confident." Calista smiled.

Kaia knew Calista meant it. She knew that her friend wasn't just saying that because she felt bad. Kaia nodded.

Calista checked the bronze clock hanging on the wall. She grabbed her bag, "I'd better go." Calista picked up her phone, "Check in with me tomorrow."

Kaia waited until all the noise was gone. She heard Calista going down the stairs, saying goodbye and thanking Kaia's mama, and closing the front door.

Calista's words echoed in Kaia's mind. 

Be confident.

Kaia tucked her long, glossy, black hair behind her ear and looked in the reflection of the vanity mirror. Her hazel eyes shined as the sun glared in her direction. Before looking away, she gave herself a confident smile and folded the note back up, putting it in her bag. 

· · ──────·本·──────· ·

Kaia walked through the halls, her bag hanging from one strap on her shoulder. In one hand, she held her phone. In the other, she held the folded up note. Moments after walking through the front doors, she spotted Zak. He was all alone at his locker - good. Kaia had worried most about other people being around. Like his friends, or worse --- his female friends.

She approached slowly, but then remembered Calista's reminder. In the corner of her eye, she saw Calista giving her a thumbs up.

"Hi Zak," Kaia let the words slip before even realizing that she said them. She looked down at her shoes, immediately regretting her actions.