Everyone's Talents

“Good Evening, Miss Anastasia.” Kou Mukami’s silver tray slid across the table as he scooted into the seat opposite the young witch who’d been conversing with her new friend. “Miss Yui.”

“Oh, hello.” Yui smiled politely, glancing between the pair as Kou’s blue eye stared intently at Anastasia who merely glowered back. “I’ll leave you two be, I’m going to look at the desserts.” The table was silent as Yui stood up, taking her tray to the cafeteria to look at the numerous desserts that had been prepared that night.

“I brought you something,” said Kou as he slid his silver tray towards Anastasia, “it was the last slice of lemon cake. Do you like lemons?”

“They’re my favourite,” said Anastasia as she glanced down at the beautiful cake before them. Whoever baked these goods, Anastasia wanted to take them home with her. “Whatever for?”

“An apology,” he replied, “I didn’t mean to humiliate you like that, I was just curious. I should have asked you first.”

“It’s fine,” shrugged the girl as she picked up the silver fork, cutting into the soft cake. “I appreciate your enthusiasm. If you have anymore questions, do ask.”

“Do witches marry?”

“They can,” nodded Anastasia as she inspected the yellow cake on her fork before lifting her eyes to meet with his, “but they’ll be banished from their coven.”

“What if you fall in love?” His head tilted to the side as Anastasia placed the cake in her mouth, melting as the sweet taste embraced her taste buds.

“The only thing I’ll fall in love with is this cake,” she said, earning a chuckle from the boy in front of her.

“But seriously,” he said, “would you have to choose between your coven and the person you loved.”

“I would,” nodded Anastasia.

“But why?”

“Many witches believe love to be a curse,” she said with a shrug, “witches are hard to love.”

“Why is that?”

“It’s a curse we’re all born with,” Anastasia sighed, “perhaps our luck with romance was traded for power.”

“That sucks,” said Kou, “you can’t have a real fairy tale without romance.”

“Then I suppose I won’t have my fairy tail.” Anastasia finished the cake as Yui sat back down beside her, greeting the pair of them. “How did you know Yui’s name?”

“I know everyone in our class,” replied Kou, “would you like me to fill you in?”

“I’d appreciate it,” nodded the witch.

“Me too.” Nodded Yui.

“Tinkerbell’s granddaughter,” Kou pointed to Florence who was giggling with a red-headed girl from their class, “Florence of Neverland, a spoiled brat but she has a good heart. Next to her is Bubble of Atlantica, she’s Ariel’s great niece.” Kou then pointed to the dark haired boy who’d mocked Anastasia earlier. “That is Rohan of Agrabah, Aladdin’s Descendant.”

“There’s a lot of descendants of famous heroes,” said Anastasia and Kou nodded.

“Cinderella’s great great grandson: Francis.” Kou was gesturing to the bright eyed boy who’d asked about Anastasia’s dragon. “Animal lover that one, our grooming class because he caught sight of a bee.”

“Grooming class?” Scoffed Anastasia, “Is that why your hair is so perfect all the time?”

“I’m the top student,” he winked.