CHAPTER 15: Capitol, part 2

AT THE STREETS

Announcement: All the residents must go to the Presidential state. Move calmly in an orderly manner. Food and shelter will be provided.

The infiltrated couples blend in with the residents, security does random checks. They were about to discover Katniss when the rebels opened fire. Finnick, Marta, Peeta, Gale, Katniss and the squad ran forward trying to reach the mansion without being killed. The security capture Gale, Peeta escapes miraculously. All except Gale reach the mansion.

Announcement: The children will enter first.

The security escorted the children inside the camp. Suddenly, parachutes like the arena fall from the sky activating bombs, Prim was between them because she was a nurse, she died. Katniss doesn't know it yet, same with the squad.

The rebels take the mansion, the squad is escorted back to the aircraft to wait for the rebels to clear the mansion.

AT THE MANSION

Katniss and the squad learn about Prim's death. Gale consoles Katniss. Marta cries into Finnick's chest. Johanna is sent to the Capitol and holds Peeta.

Katniss pulls away from Gale and runs away to the garden: I need to be alone.

AT THE GARDEN

Katniss encounters President Snow.

Snow: There are a lot of things we need to discuss. I have a feeling it will be brief. I want to apologize for what happened to your sister. I was about to issue my surrender when the parachutes descended.

Katniss: We both know you sent them.

Snow: I did not, it is wasteful. I am not above killing children but I am not wasteful. I take life for specific reasons and there was no reason for me to kill capitol children, not at all. I must admit that it was a masterful move on Coin's part. It turned the last of my guards on me. You know it aired live. I am sure she wasn't aiming for your sister but this happens in war. She intends to take my place now. I am afraid you and I have been played fools.

Katniss: I don't believe you.

Snow: Now Miss.Everdeen, I thought we had agreed to always be truthful with each other.

Katniss leaves the garden, not knowing what to think. Gale finds her.

Gale: President Coin wants to see you.

Katniss: Was the bombs ours, the trap. Was it you?

Gale: I don't know. All I know I was supposed to protect your family and I failed.

Katniss: You can't protect everyone in an arena.

Gale looks down as Katniss looks at him: Goodbye Gale.

Then, Katniss joins the remaining victors in a room with Coin.

Coin: Sit down and join us. First of all, I have taken the burden and honor of interim president of Panem.

Haymitch chuckles: Interim, exactly how long is that?

Coin: We don't have a way to know for certain. What is clear is that people are far too emotional now to make a rational decision. We will plan an election when the time is right. But I have called you here for a far more important decision. A symbolic vote. This afternoon, we will execute Snow, hundreds of his accomplices await death. Once we begin the rebels won't stop demanding for more justice. We need something to satisfy them. I offer an alternative plan. If the majority approves it it will go forward. You may abstain. The proposal is this: in light of these barbaric executions we hold a symbolic Hunger Games.