CHAPTER 3: Sara

KEVIN FOGLE was the Assistant Manager at the Blockbuster on Expressway and practically ran the store for the GM, Traci. He was the type of guy, with his pencil thin mustache and anal haircut, to take the whole video rental business a bit too seriously. He had called together a pre-shift meeting with the evening-crew, which for that particular Sunday night would be only Miles and Dorian, as Veronica had called out sick and Scott had, "prior obligations."

     Clipboard in hand, Kevin led Miles and Dorian into the back storage area, while the remnants of day-crew watched the front and waited to be relieved.

     "Now listen guys," Kevin gestured at the boxes containing confectionary in the back storage area, he went on, "you have to pay for any candy or soda you take. Inventory came up short to the tune of two-hundred dollars worth of missing product."

     Geeze, Dorian, Miles thought.

     Kevin pushed sliding wire-frame glasses up the bridge of his nose with an index finger and said, "I don't want to have to check the cameras and fire someone, but this is getting ridiculous. It needs to stop."

     Dorian stuck hands in pockets and rocked back and forth on heels, saying, "are you sure it's not shoplifters swiping our M&M's, boss man?"

     Kevin raised his brows and asked, "The peanut-butter M&M's, Dorian?"

     Dorian had a decent poker face. He just shrugged.

     Miles wanted to laugh, thinking, Kevin already checked the cameras. He was hoping Dorian would confess.

     Kevin shook his head, disappointed, sighed and rolled his eyes. He looked at the paper on his clipboard, then said, "labor was absurd last night, just plain awful."

     Miles spoke up, "we sent Veronica home early. It was dead."

     Kevin said, "at thirty-one percent labor, we're losing money. We aim for fifteen percent, we settle for twenty. Anything more than that and it's a problem."

     Miles wasn't sure he believed that. He had done the numbers himself and it seemed like plenty of profit was still being made, overall, even if there were shifts with high labor percentages. It all came out in the wash. He wouldn't argue though, it was pointless. He said, "you're right, Kev. I'll do better."

     Kevin nodded and said, "stay on top of it. Also, the store was a wreck when I came in this morning. Stuff wasn't stocked. The shelves looked like trash. I expect better of you two. Stay busy. There's always something that needs done. If I need to order those annoying corporate check sheets, I can do that."

     Dorian looked around avoidantly.

     Miles bit his tongue. The store looked fine the previous night. There may have been a handful of items awry. Kevin was one of those mountain/mole-hill people. The store was not, "a wreck." Hyperbole was Kevin's way of expressing how important the details were to him. Miles knew that. He just wanted the meeting to end already, he said, "you got it, Kev."

     Kevin's managerial stare lingered for a moment before he turned his attention on Dorian and said, "we have a new employee starting today. Set a good example, please," then back to Miles, "she'll be here at six. Her name's Sara. I'm gonna stay late to get her orientated. After I leave, I want you to train her."

      Miles was confused. He asked, "the transfer from 50th, right?"

     "That's correct."

     "Doesn't she know the job already?"

     Kevin looked self-satisfied when he said, "we're gonna make sure of that."

     Miles was probably making a face that betrayed his distaste, because Kevin cleared his throat and moved along quickly. "Ahem- that about covers it for now." He pointed at Dorian. "Why don't you relieve Tyler at register?"