November 23, 1982 (1/2)

TRIGGER WARNINGS: Big violence, brief language

"I'm going to bring Finney some water before I go," you announced, grabbing a glass and turning on the sink. 

"Bring him a banana, too. They're getting pretty ripe." Al handed you a banana as he grabbed his keys. "I'll be back." 

You muttered a goodbye as you made your way to the basement. You were nervous. Would your plan really work? What if it didn't, and you had only signed Finney's death certificate?

"Morning," you said, seeing him sitting upright on the mattress. "Brought you some breakfast." 

As you set the items down, Finney looked at you and whispered, "Is he gone?" 

"Just left. I'll be out in about thirty minutes." 

Finney nodded, and you turned to leave. 

"Y/N?" 

You turned around to face Finney. "Yeah?"

"Thank you." 

__________________

Finney waited patiently for your note. He sat, eyes intently focused on the barred window. After what felt like years, he watched as a folded piece of paper fluttered down to the concrete floor. Finney dashed for it, quickly unfolding it. 

Finney,

The key is hidden under the couch. MAKE SURE YOU LOCK THE DOOR WHEN YOU LEAVE. Please be careful. If you see anyone that looks like Al, or a car that looks like his, hide. Get to the police first. Don't make any stops. 
Be safe. 
-Y/N

Finney dropped the note onto the floor, not thinking straight. This was it. He was getting out of here. He would be free. He'd go home to Gwen, and maybe his dad would get sober, and they'd be as happy as they could without Finney's late mom there. 

Standing at the top of the stairwell, Finney felt strangely safe. He was standing in what was a dangerous place, yet there was no threat here. He stood a moment longer, trying to shake the uneasy feeling before getting on his knees and looking under the couch. 

Sure enough, there was a key hidden in the shadows. 

Finney grabbed at it and made for the door, slipping it into the keyhole. Was this real? It couldn't be. 

Click. 

__________________

Halfway to the dentist, Al realized he forgot his wallet. Letting out a short string of curses, Al pulled into a gas station parking lot and flipped around, ready to miss his appointment. He'd just call when he got home and reschedule for a week out. Today, he elected, he was facing a slight fever, and therefore should stay home. 

~~~~

About a block away from the house, Al saw something that made his blood run cold. There was a teenager running down the sidewalk, and he recognized the teenager. It was Finney. 

Finney saw Al at the same time that Al realized what had happened, and he floored it. Finney ran faster in the opposite direction, knowing that he was going towards Al's house, but Al couldn't turn his van around as fast as he could turn on his feet. 

Unluckily for Finney, he didn't realize that Al was ready to break a couple mailboxes if it meant that he wasn't getting caught.

Finney turned down random streets until he realized he had made a grave error. He had ended up back on Soisson Street, the dead-end road where the Grabber lived. He didn't have time to turn and run again before Al leapt out of his van and tackled Finney to the ground.

A struggle ensued as Finney began to claw at Al's skin, digging into the barely healed wound from when Al first kidnapped him. Al screamed and grabbed a fistful of Finney's hair and slammed his head onto the concrete. Finney screamed as blood began to pool from his forehead. Al slammed his head down over and until Finney's vision blurred from not just the trauma, but all the blood dripping down into his eyes. Al took this as a sign that all the fight had run out from Finney, and stood up.

Groaning, Finney, tried to crawl away, but Al grabbed his ankle and turned towards the door, dragging Finney's face along the concrete as he walked. Up the steps. Through the grime and dirt that had accumulated on the front step. Finney cried silently.

Al tossed him down the basement stairs, letting a barely-conscious Finney collapse at the landing. Al opened the door and kicked Finney's limp form into the room. He was about to leave when something by the mattress caught his eye.

Al walked over and picked it up, examining the writing as rage boiled his blood, blanching his bones. He stormed over to Finney and grabbed his cheeks harshly.

"When did Y/N give this to you?" He growled.

Finn spat in his face.

Al slapped Finney's already bloodied cheek and asked again. "When did you get this?"

"This morning," he whispered. "Before she left."

"That bitch," he growled. "I'm going to kill her."