Chapter 7

Toge led the way to the dining hall as he had done the day before, keeping a couple paces in front of Yuta. He pulled open the door, letting Yuta pass through before himself. Even if it was just Toge being polite, Yuta felt color return to his cheeks.

"Ah, yes, the two strongest going out on a really hard mission today." Maki mocked them as they sat down.

Toge held out his palm in front of her face, then turned his head to the side as he swatted his hand.

Yuta felt embarrassed, avoiding eye contact. It was true, they did receive a mission for the two of them. But it was more of an errand than a mission. They were to retrieve some weapons for Gojo and bring them back.

Toge finally withdrew his hand and crossed his arms, turning his chin up to the side to avoid Maki's gaze.

Yuta noticed it again. Toge never spoke to them. He would whisper to Yuta, quietly in private, but when it came to speaking to others, he refrained. Yuta covered up his puzzled face by leaning forward onto his palm, diverting his eyes from Maki who sat in front of him.

"Tch..." Megumi shoved Maki, almost out of her chair. "Why do you have to be such a bitch sometimes?!" He pointed at Yuta before continuing, "Look at him! I'm sure he has his reasons for being uncomfortable already, and you are just making it worse."

Toge leaned across the table, giving Megumi a high five with a smile.

Choso sat next to Megumi, a bored expression on his face, he was uninterested in their bickering. He cocked an eyebrow before shaking his head. It wasn't worth his time to chime in.

Yuta felt crushed with embarrassment. Not only did he stay silent, but he also slid his hand over his face to hide his annoyance. It was too early to make enemies, but Maki was on his shit list. As he removed his hand, he gave Megumi a small thankful glance, letting him know his actions didn't go unnoticed.

As they ate breakfast in silence, Toge pointed to Yuta's plate that he hadn't touched. He tilted his head as if to ask why he wasn't eating.

Yuta looked towards Toge with drained eyes, feeling overwhelmed by social interaction. Scooting his chair back, he picked up his plate and threw it in the trash before heading towards their dorm.

/ / /

The rooftop was hot from the sun beaming down. Yuta laid on his back, cigarette hanging from his mouth as his hand was draped over his eyes. He had forgotten how long had passed since breakfast, until Toge crept onto the roof and sat down next to him.

"You okay?" He whispered, looking down through the smoke that poured from Yuta's mouth.

Yuta sat up, resting his arms on his knees. "I'm okay. Sorry for ditching you back there."

Toge shook his head, leaning back on his hands. "Maki can be a bitch. Don't let her get to you." he said as he looked out at the sky.

His words caught Yuta off guard. Even though they had spoken a handful of times since he arrived, he never spoke in sentences, or to anyone else but him. Even when Gojo was explaining to them what he expected, Toge only nodded or shook his head.

"Are you ready to head out?" Yuta asked, deciding to leave his questions for another day.

Toge nodded, standing from the roof and extending his hand to help Yuta up.

The way Gojo explained their 'mission' seriously pissed off Yuta.

As they arrived at the address that was given to them, Yuta expected it was going to be far different than what it was. They weren't stealing anything. They weren't killing anyone. This was far different than anything he was asked to do by Geto.

They simply went to a blacksmith, told them who sent them, and left moments later with a heavy wooden box.

Toge walked next to Yuta with his hands buried deep in his pockets as Yuta carried the box with both hands.

"Some mission." Yuta said, feeling worthless. He was used to doing things that were unspeakable, but he wasn't used to doing something so mundane.

Toge laughed quietly, patting Yuta on the back. "Don't worry, I'm sure Gojo wouldn't send us out for nothing."

Yuta smirked as he looked towards Toge. "That man seriously has a screw loose."

Toge nodded in agreement, "He may have a screw loose, but he is the strongest. Don't forget that."

Yuta walked on in silence, curious about just how strong Gojo might be. Was he stronger than Geto? His face twisted with despair, remembering the conversation he overheard before Sukuna left. They would need the strongest, to withstand Geto's wrath. Was he safe? They were out meandering around as if there was nothing to worry about at all. When would Geto find him?

Was Sukuna still alive?

\ \ \

Once back on campus, Toge and Yuta found Gojo in the courtyard. Yuta set the box down on the table Gojo was sitting at, as he uncrossed his legs to turn towards them. "My, my! You boys are quick!"

Yuta crossed his arms, fighting back a disgusted look. "So? What's in there?" he asked, letting his curiosity show.

Gojo smirked, leaning forward towards the box. "Wouldn't you like to know, child." He leaned forward, wrapping the box in an embrace.

Toge turned towards Yuta, cocking an eyebrow in confusion.

Yuta peered through half closed eyes in annoyance, questioning if he should respond to Gojo's rhetorical question.

"Well? Jeez, tough crowd." Gojo laughed menacingly as he pushed the box towards Yuta. "Go ahead, open it."

Yuta exchanged a worried glance with Toge before he carefully opened the wooden box. "Daggers?" Yuta said confused, pulling them from the velvet lined interior.

"Your Katanas you use..." Gojo started, trailing off. He was lost in thought for a moment, trying to find the right words. "It's time to retire them."

Yuta cocked his eyebrow, unsheathing the daggers. He held them in both hands, feeling their weight. It felt as if they were custom made, although he was confused why Gojo picked daggers instead of katanas. "Why?" Yuta finally asked, re-sheathing both blades.

Gojo leaned forward and lifted his glasses, exposing his crystal-like eyes. "You know why."