Chapter 5

Flandre waited at the entrance of the mansion, arms crossed. Since the invitation had been sent, arrangements were made and the expected date had arrived.

    "Will she be here soon?"

    "'Course she will, Flan. And she'll be so happy to see you!" Meiling chirped. "Aren't you excited?"

    "I guess so. Even if I wish Remi would let me choose who I wanted on my own. At least this Koshi girl seems nice."   

The building doors swung open, and Koishi Komeiji, accompanied by her sister, waltzed in. Shoes clacking on the floor, the sound echoed all through the corridors of the mansion. Wings raised, Flandre perked up. She scanned the girl up and down; she was short, quite round, and grinning wide.

"Uh... hello. I'm—"

"You're Flandre!" Koishi exclaimed. The vampire blinked, then resumed her slouching.

"Yep, I guess I am. Koishi Komeiji?"

"That's right!"

The curly-haired girl waltzed up to Flandre, who remained unresponsive. Meiling tensed up, hands clenching into fists.

"I think it's fine, Meiling," the vampire said, calling the guard to stand down. "What do you need?"

Flandre's eyes raised as she noticed Koishi's hands behind her back.

    "Do you have something?"

    "Yep! We made these for you!"

    She held out a pack of cookies in the shape of gemstones, iced in pastel colors. Flandre's expression shifted, her eyes widening and her jaw losing tension.

    "This is... for me?"

    "Mhm! Satori had some cookbooks in her study and she let me make something for you. She helped with the icing, though!" the green-haired girl chirped. Behind her, Satori gave a polite wave.

    "Lady Patchouli used her magic to check for anything dangerous in them, so they're safe to eat," Meiling confirmed. Hesitating for a moment, Flandre took the cookies, handling them as if they were a precious jeweled heirloom.

    "Thank you. They're beautiful."

    Koishi beamed.

    "Why don't you introduce yourself formally, Koishi?" Satori recommended. Her sister adjusted her hat and straightened her back like a soldier.

"My name is Koishi Komeiji," she said in a faux posh accent. "I come from The Palace of the Earth Spirits in Former Hell. My sister is Satori Komeiji. She talks to animals and they're happy with her, even if she makes them work in Hell. I talk to animals too, but I don't make them work."

She gave Flandre a mock curtsy, and the blonde girl snickered in response.

"So, do you two wanna go do something? Maybe you should show you around your room, Flan!" Meiling suggested.

    "I've always wanted to see a vampire's room!"

    "Huh. Sure, let's do that."

    Koishi bounced up and down on her feet, radiating excitement.

    "Do you sleep in a coffin? Or upside down?"

    "Koishi, don't be rude," Satori nudged.

    "Sorry! I'm just so excited!"

    Flandre tilted her head, then scoffed.

    "I don't sleep in a coffin, they're too cramped."

    She leaned in towards the other girl, covering her mouth with her hand.