Chapter 1: "Annoying Friends and Weird Strangers"

(12/09)

"All good," Tristan shouted and gave us a thumbs up. My friends and I asked him to take a picture of us.

He gave me his 'million-dollar smile', as girls term it, while I walked towards him to take my camera back."Thanks, Tristan."

"No prob," he winked. I didn't mind. He always wink at every girl he talks to. "So, what do you plan to do his summer?"

"Oh I don't know," I answered as I looked at the picture. "I actually wanna get a summer job to help mom but one month of vacation isn't enough. Besides, I have to stay at home since there's no one else who can, like, watch over it or something."

"Poor you." He chuckled. "Uhh anyway, I gotta go. Enjoy your ultimately boring life," he said, which made me pause for a while to stare at him and cross my arms.

"I'm kidding," he laughed. "Have a great summer, Nix."

And so, I waved my hand and walked to my friends. Actually, he was right when he said 'ultimately boring vacation'. I mean, what could possibly be fun about my vacation? My friends have their own plans and stuff scheduled. Oh and one more thing, I live alone. My mom works at Perth, miles away from here. Although she's about to visit any day soon, she'll only be able to stay for less than a week.

I really don't know what to do. But studying in Australia, summer vacation isn't that much of a big deal. I mean, seriously, it only lasts for about 7 weeks or less 'till the next year's first term will commence. Well, seven weeks is actually big enough compared to our in-between term breaks which lasts for only 2 to 3 weeks. I just really sense this summer vacation is gonna be boring. I guess I only have two options. It's either to glue myself on the couch all day and watch a movie or explore the house over and over. How exciting.. not.

--

I stared at the wall clock. "Where's Max and Stephy? They should've been here half an hour ago," I complained.

Kevin, Ava, and I sat around a table, waiting for Max and Steph to arrive. I have the right to get mad. Why? Because among us, I live the furthest from PizzOut and yet I got here first. I bet Max picked Steph from their house again. He always does.

"Looks like someone's jealous," Ava teased. Twirling her downstraight blonde hair with her finger.

"Ew, Aves. I am not jealous!" I sneered. "The only possible situation I'd get jealous at is if you got a bigger scoop of ice cream than mine."

I'm being honest. Max is nothing more that a close friend to me. Sometimes, I actually see him like a brother. I think I would actually feel elated if Max and Steph have something deep going on between them. I'd totally support them.

The door opened and finally, Steph walked in. Her blonde hair with violet highlights flew flawlessly off her shoulders as she took her steps. It really matched her purple-colored contacts. She preferred them instead of wearing glasses. She smiled as she waved at us. I gotta admit. Despite her eyes and hair not being all-natural, she's pretty. No wonder Max seems to like her. I kept my eye on the door and expected Max, but he wasn't there.

I got a little surprised. "Oh, you're alone?"

She gave me a weird look. "Obviously, Nix. What do you expect? You think I brought ghost with me?"

Ava had an irksome smile on her face. "She was jealous because she thought you were with Max."

I gave her my best glare. "Avanessa Wilson, would you do me a favor and zip it?"

"I always thought you'd end up a couple before our last year of high school," Kevin said, joining the conversation. Ugh, great. The more, the peskier.