Chapter 1 Audra P2

A few months had passed on the expedition, and the ship had been unsuccessful in locating the orca pod. There had been a few tiny slivers of hope, only to be false alarms.

Pearl was on edge, and Audra had never felt so bored. She was sitting in the galley underneath a cabinet pressed against the oven.

The cooks there were extremely friendly to her and let her lick off any spoons when they finished. Audra pressed harder against the warm oven; she had never felt so cold. The galley oven brought her warmth and comfort.

As did the cooks who made delicious food and told wonderful stories of adventure. She hid there as often as she could, reveling in the warmth.

"I need that stock inventory by the end of the day. The supply ship will be crossing our trajectory in two days, and I don't want to miss anything," a smooth, demanding voice said.

"Yes, Captain," Barry, the head chef, replied.

Audra froze. She hadn't seen the captain since her first day on the ship. Not wanting to upset the captain with her presence, Audra tried to dissolve into the oven but had no luck.

She saw heavy black Arctic Muck Boots stop right in front of where Audra was hiding.

The boots turned toward her. Audra tried to calm her breathing. Fear slammed into her chest.

"BOO!" Sedna squatted down, scaring Audra.

Audra jumped, and her papers and pencils went flying everywhere. Sedna fell to her bottom, laughing till tears ran down her cheeks. This woman was very different from the one she had met a few months ago.

She had a brightness to herself. Her smile was huge and filled her face. Her eyes twinkled like the night sky. Audra couldn't help but feel a pull at her lips and giggled.

"Well now...that was what I needed, Little Vaikas," Sedna said as she whipped away the tears of laughter.

"What does that mean?" Audra asked.

"It's a native word, Little Child. My mother used to call me her Nedaug Vaikas. Her Little Child. Now let me help you clean up all the papers you spilled on the floor."

Quickly, Audra and Sedna picked up her homework.

"Introduction to Chemistry? Aren't you like six years old?"

Audra scowled. "I'm ten."

Sedna smirked at her, but surprise filled her eyes. "You're ten and studying chemistry?"

Audra nodded.

"Hmm...Well, you are full of surprises, aren't you? You know...I haven't seen you around my ship at all."

"You told me to stay out of trouble, or you would make my mother and I leave. So, I stayed out of trouble," Audra mumbled.

Sedna gave a heartful laugh, "That's it. Come with me."

"I can't. I have to finish a test in chemistry. It's due on Monday."

"I think you'll probably pass that test, no problem. Let's go!"

Sedna wouldn't take no for an answer. After that, the two were inseparable. Sedna taught Audra everything she knew about boats, the ocean, how to read the stars, tell if a storm was coming, and avoid dangerous waves.

Sedna showed Audra love, and soon, the entire crew adopted Audra as their own. She would help out with everything around the boat.

They all watched as the quiet, timid little girl became a bright, bubbly flower, bouncing everywhere, eager to please her new family.