CHAPTER 3

Only a few hours are left on the train; we arrive at noon. I go to my closet and change into a simple black shirt and jeans. In the mirror, I look at myself; all the feasts from the train had puffed out my cheeks, making them not sink in anymore. I tie my hair half up, put my clip in, and walk again to the dining room. Mmm, Breakfast. I haven't had an omelet in so long, especially not one like this. This must have at least four eggs, with bacon, onions, and cilantro. There are so many options on the table. Waffles, French toast, pancakes, sausage, and hashbrowns. All this food starts to make my mouth water.

"Can I take all of this home?" I blurt out.

Arvel laughs at my ridiculous comment. "Stuff it down your shirt. It'll be a surprise for everyone at the remake center."

"I forgot about them... I am not excited," I say, sitting in my chair, ready to dig in. The districts' living standards are different from those in the Capitol. Nobody cares what they look like in the neighborhoods, and they are all just trying to stay alive. You get scrubbed raw of dirt and gunk at the remake center, even waxed if needed. I remember when I was younger, arguing with my dad about my physical appearance. I have always been described as pretty, but the way you present yourself can make or break your label. I definitely always hated the style of the Capitol citizens... their bleached eyebrows and ridiculous clothes are just way out of my league. I know I will have to dress like that during the tribute parade, after the remake center. I was filthy from traveling... but I had the opportunity to shower on the train— I hope that will save me from a few hours of scrubbing. I start to eat, shoving practically anything in my sight down my throat. I won't have this much good food for much longer. I'm not sure if I will have any in the arena... My best bet is finding the plants. Deciphering between the poison and edible ones, praying mutts won't sneak up on me. I don't even know what the arena will look like. It has been so different over the years. There have been Tundras, forests, mazes, ruined cities, artic, beaches, oceans, and I'm sure more.

I can't even start to imagine the horror I'll be facing, and I can only hope that the arena is the least of my worries. After eating, I go to the washroom and wash off my face. I'm unsure how I could even eat so messily— I guess I was too focused on my thoughts. I walk back to the dining area and hear a commotion outside; I take a look. Crowds of people are cheering outside the train, which has slowed down. I pull down the window and wave at everyone, putting on a fake smile. Arvel pulls me down; you can tell he wouldn't do this. He doesn't care about his image, just surviving. Honestly, I can't blame him. But If I want to live, I need sponsors.

"What are you doing?" He snarled.

"Playing the game," I put my fake smile back on and go back to waving. I know Arvel means well with his anger. Why become friends with the enemy? Because You have to keep your friends close but your enemies closer. Manipulating my way into the hearts of the Capitol, I'm already at an advantage being from there— kind of. I'm sure most of my classmates are waiting to watch my death in the arena, but I won't give them the satisfaction. From now on, only one thing will be on my mind. To win. For my reunion that ended too soon, for my mother who has already lost a child to the Capitol, for my dad who just wanted to keep us safe... for me. I will be the victor.

The train eventually comes to a stop, and peacekeepers lead us directly into the remake center. My privacy has already been completely stripped away from me, so this feels like nothing in comparison. Everyone is in different rooms, just me and my prep team— the District 6 women's prep team. They are chatting away as I get scrubbed; truthfully, I can feel the stress fading. It's like a spa day... just one given before death.

"Oh honey, you are barely even dirty!" A woman says to me in her pronounced Capitol accent. I am so glad I don't have one of those... they are so odd. Her hair is bright yellow and shaped like a square; It looks like it is sitting on top of her head rather than her hair. I think someone said her name was Ermine. Instead of her hair matching her eyebrows, she has none; barely anybody in the Capitol has any. I guess it's a sign of wealth.