Chapter 1

1. Welcome to Our World

A cluster of clouds littered the evening sky, the rays of the dull sunset struggling to seep through the broken windows. The air reeked of human urine and Celia couldn't even attempt to understand how people could live here. As Sade hurriedly pushed her twin up the flight of stairs, knowing that the elevator always failed when least expected, she too couldn't hide her disgust for the block of flats that they were currently treading through.

"I can't stand this place," muttered Celia as she kicked GiGi's hand off her foot, a local drugged up criminal who was always begging for money.

"Neither can I," replied Sade glumly, glaring at the unconscious woman on the floor. 

We're better than this, she thought proudly. We'll make it out of here.

"My two favourites!" exclaimed the handsome mix-raced boy with tinged hazel eyes that stood before them.

Celia and Sade rolled their eyes, bored at his usual antics. The twins had known Shane long before they started messing around with the lot and had quickly grown accustomed to his loud and very smart mouth.

"Move G'man," Sade sneered, quickly wanting to get inside the flat so they could start work. The quicker they finished, the quicker they could leave.

"Cut it with the attitude Sade, you know I won't hesitate to bang you," Shane stated firmly, stepping out of the door way. 

Sade rolled her eyes but by the tone of Shane's voice, she knew not to reply. Although he was extremely playful and annoying, he also didn't take disrespect from anyone; including her. Celia screwed Shane deeply as she walked behind Sade, not liking the way that he addressed her sister but she too knew that she couldn't ever go against him. He was all they had.

Despite the state of the lobby and hallways within the block of flats, Shane's flat was clean and pristine. There was no sign of any form of uncleanliness and although Sade hated being here, Celia always found comfort in this particular space. As she walked in, she passed the kitchen and sauntered towards the living area. It was a small space with no furniture except for a very large dining table in the centre. Sade's eyes roamed around the room, spotting the familiar faces and greeting them with her usual expression of a mean mug. The eight boys in Shane's team sat comfortably around the dining table, counting the stacks of money that they were adorned with. As the twins entered the room, their eyes didn't leave the paper. Money hungry, she thought disgustedly.

The twins walked into one of the three bedrooms within the flat, quickly grabbing the plastic ponchos and tying their hair into small knots. Celia reached for a hair net and placed it around Sade's head, Sade then doing the same for her. This was their usual routine. They knew the drill, they knew the process better than anyone else in Shane's team. This is why he chose them. As the twins slipped on their disposable gloves, they sat on the only table in the room and began work.

*****

Shane didn't trust many people. In fact, if he could actually count how many people he truly trusted, he could only name three: Celia, Sade and Tristan. Tristan was his best friend but Celia and Sade; they were his sisters. Not once did he regret taking them in and to this day, memories of when he first came across the infamous duo never failed to leave his mind.

He stills remembers the fierce expression on Sade's face as she defended her timid sister from the group of bullies that surrounded them. He remembers Sade's eyes twinkling with excitement as she punched a boy twice her size right in the throat, further cackling with laughter as he choked before her eyes. Her eyes, he thought strangely. Her left eye was completely brown with a slight tinge of green within the centre and the other also brown but adorned with small speckles of green. He remembers glancing at her sister kneeled on the floor and noticing that her eyes too were different but mirrored her sister's. After a few minutes of enjoying the scene before him, he put a stop to it all. Sade and Celia then became a part of him.