The Forgotten Tree

Zoughnutella Bogonatti is an aspiring editorial journalist who loves to laze around and eat, but takes her work seriously. She spends her free time watching movies at the cinema and visiting historical sites. She also loves to read the published works of various historians such as Nick Joaquin, Teodoro Agoncillo, and particularly Jim Richardson, who somehow accepted her friend request on Facebook; and attend NHCP and Xiao Chua's webinars.

Back in 2015, she had to write a feature article about the movie "Heneral Luna," so she decided to see the premiere screening. The film moved her to tears and ignited patriotism within her heart. This led her to appreciate her country's rich history and the people who contributed to attain sovereignty. However, her overflowing emotions caused her to hate the former president which she perceived as the villain who orchestrated the general's assassination. The flame of hatred got bigger and bigger as she discovered that he tried to relinquish control to the colonialist; he accepted amnesty from the Spaniards, swore allegiance to the United States, and broadcasted his call to surrender to the Japanese. Seeing numerous people complain about the said leader's actions didn't help, it only cemented her biased beliefs.

Six years went by as an incident caused her to recall her past. A contestant mistook GomBurZa for MaJoHa, reminding her of the Zelda franchise she used to play with her brother as a kid. She was astonished at the fact that they seem to be nonchalant even though more and more youth are forgetting the importance of their own history. When she watched Heneral Luna, there were also teens there who were confused as to why Mabini remained seated for the rest of the film.

Realization hit her that she's still like them. When reading about the memoirs of Katipunan members, she favors one faction over the other. Spiting the decision of the Magdalo. Discrediting his achievements because of a mistake that he committed in order to protect the life of his countrymen; failing to recognize that that hero may be thinking about his fellows, not wanting to shed any more blood.

Because of this, she dedicated her time to take part in various historical-related assemblies. An example was when she became a virtual volunteer for Kapitbahayan sa Kalye Bautista, a non-profit organization advocating for the preservation of cultural heritage in Quiapo.

Zoughnuttela was also a founding member and treasurer of the High School Philippine History Movement which aims to pass a bill for the return of Philippine History in the high school curriculum. In doing so, she hopes that the youth will learn to appreciate the efforts of our forefathers for freedom; and that age is not an obstacle to offer oneself.

She promised to herself that she must honor their sacrifices, no matter what it takes. And so, she started writing books inspired from the different colonial periods in the Philippines. Tackling both the ugly truth and the bittersweet reality in order to avoid people to be like her previous self; loathing a hero based on media's representation, joining in the hate bandwagon, and making them fight like a video game character.

The ancient tree continues to bear despite the lack of tending. From the seed of patriotism to the branches of simultaneous uprising, we now enjoy the fruit of labor that our ancestors offered us in order to attain freedom from the conquerors. Their blood irrigated the chosen land as their lifeless body nourished the place where the tree is planted. It remains sturdy with the help of the deeply-rooted identity. For every generation who consumes the produce, less and less are those who have knowledge of it.

You're benefiting from the fruit of freedom, but you don't know which tree it came from. Have you ever looked back and appreciate the sacrifices of your predecessors? Do you know where to find the tree?