Chapter 20: Lost (1)

***

"Wanderer! Are you fully awake now...?" Seeing Wanderer regain consciousness I quickly assured if he was alright.

"....." 

Wanderer seemed to act differently as he stared at my facial expression.

It was hard to describe but he seemed so... different.

"Wanderer?"

Blinking a few times, Wanderer tilted his head in confusion as a tone softer than what I was used to, escaped from his mouth.

"....A stranger? Wait... are you perhaps a Samurai?"

"Indeed I am but...-"

As I was about to finish my words, I was then startled as 'Wanderer' quickly covered his mouth and began to introduce himself after a brief self monologue, with a name I am not familiar with.

"Ah right, Niwa said I shouldn't be rude.... Introductions first! I am called Kabukimono, that was rude of me Samurai-san"

"....Wanderer?"

Wanderer or rather 'Kabukimono' once again tilted his head in confusion likely due to the name that I had called him.

It somehow felt as if I were speaking to a small child....

As I was in deep thought, 'Kabukimono' then went closer to me as if to study my face as he then gave a brief description of this person called 'Niwa'.

"But it is rather strange! You look like Niwa, well if you wear a handkerchief on your head you would really look like Niwa." 

"Niwa?" 

Giving in to my curiosity, I couldn't help but question 'Kabukimono' about this person. 

"Yep! Niwa a blacksmith from Tatarasuna. Oh I forgot! What is your name Samurai-san?"

"...Kazuha"

"I see! What a pretty name Samurai-san-- oh I mean Kazuha-san? It feels weird somehow... what should I call you..."

"Just... Kazuha is fine"

"Then! Kazuha can you show me that blade on your waist?"

"Pardon?" Confused, I then pointed to the blade I always carry.

"No not that one, the other one...."

"Ah." I then showed the blade Wanderer and myself had once made, Wanderer seemed to have brought it along when he left the camp.

"Yes that one please!"

"Alright. But please, do be careful. A dull blade is still a blade." I briefly warned as I handed over the blade to 'Kabukimono'.

But Kabukimono seemed to be too fascinated and occupied with examining the blade that he seemed to not have heard my warnings as he held the blade directly with his hands.

"...The artistic sense is alright but the sharpness needs some work, if Kazuha had applied more pressure each time the hammer landed then it would have created a more balanced blade."

"Wan- I mean Kabukimono.... You seem to have a wide mastery over bladesmithing"

"Of course.... After all, I grew up in Tatarasuna a place filled with the warmth of people and the warmth of the furnace... well that is after 'Mother' left me"

"Mother?" Surprised by the sudden divulgence of Wanderer's prior life before we've met, I could only ask 'Kabukimono' for more answers.

"Yes, mother is a very strong being. Maybe I was too weak in front of her eyes as she left me in a house all by myself. She did give me a present though! It's this golden feather."