Chapter 24. Past

When they see you at your worst, but still think you're the best. Those are your people.
________________________________

You wake up on top of the covers, fully clothed. The weight of last night lingers as you instinctively check your phone.

________________________________You grapple with what to reply, a tinge of embarrassment coloring your thoughts

You grapple with what to reply, a tinge of embarrassment coloring your thoughts. You get up to splash your face with cold water. Leaning on the sink, you meet your own eyes in the mirror. The flood of thoughts—Carl, the tour, Sam, and last night—overwhelms you. Why can't you let go of him? You dash back to the room, throwing yourself onto the bed. Screams choked in your pillow, a release for the chaotic emotions within. A knock on the door startles you, fearing someone might have heard. Hastily, you compose yourself.

You - Hey...

Niall pushes the door open and walks in.

Niall (laughs) - Well, wow, you look like shit. What's up? What happened last night? I was out back throwing up like crazy; it was like a waterfall.

You - TMI, Niall.

Niall (sits on the bed) - Sorry...

You (sit beside him) - I hope you feel better today.

Niall (smiles and lays down on the bed) - Spoiler, I don't. BUT I have to keep it together because we have interviews today...

You (forgot) - Oh yeah..

Niall - And you're going to be with us in some of them. Isn't that just so exciting?

You (scramble to find clothes) - Oh, oh my god...FUCK! I need to get ready!

Niall (sits up calmly) - Chill, you have time. Come sit down. You are spiraling. You need to get your thoughts out, and I'm here to receive them.

You (sit beside him) - Okay, I'm going to say a lot of things, and they probably don't make sense, but you asked for it.

Niall smiles and nods.

You - Every time I look in the mirror, I see a dirty version of myself. I see the bruises, and I blame myself. When I think back on my life, I just feel like I wasted it on a guy who made it so obvious that he didn't love me; he just hurt me. Now I'm here in Germany, with you guys doing this crazy insane thing I decided to do in a second. Maybe this is my comeback or it's me figuring out that I'm not even at my lowest, not even close.

A tear rolls down your cheek as you pick at your nails. Niall takes your hand, brushing over it softly with his thumb.

Niall - I'm genuinely sorry you had to endure all that pain.

You look up at him.

Niall - You've got more strength than you give yourself credit for. You are the strongest person I know. I'm so fucking proud of you, and I just want to tell every single person about this awesome girl who is my best friend. I love you.