16. Volunteering

Today, Anya brought back the marks for her latest exams, and...

She got F on all her marks, not even one correct answers, paper with more red than blue...

I looked dejectedly at her paper, then at Loid. He didn't look exasperated, just calm and collected.

He turned off the TV where Anya was watching her spy cartoon and put her on a chair in front of the table to study.

●●●

L - How many times do I have to tell you ? That's supposed to be an "E" not an "A".

Yor took her paper and looked at it.

Y - Loid, her math score here is pretty good.

I frowned and looked at Yor like "Is she serious?

I decided to leave this studious atmosphere to avoid listening to nonsense. In my room, I picked up my book again and started reading it since I wanted to finish it before the end of the week and it was already Saturday.

●●●

- (He's finally going to kiss her after 20 chapters of waiting!!)

My eyes kept moving from word to word when I suddenly heard a violin. But it offered all but a melody, so I plugged my ears and poked my head outside my room to see what was going on.

It was Anya trying to play it. One by one, the strings broke and soon there were no strings left to hammer. I looked around at the people in the living room and decided my book was more important.

●●●

- (Who the hell is she?! They were FINALLY going to kiss and she barges in like that!)

I stopped once more as I heard Anya's cries. I looked up but remained seated on my bed to continue my reading.

●●●

L - Miti.

I raised my head from my plate to signal him to continue.

L - Would there be any other way to get a stella?

I swallowed what was in my mouth.

- For me, it was work. But others got one because they volunteered.

He nodded.

- If you want, I know a hospital that's always looking for volunteers. I go there to help out sometimes. I can recommend you if you like, they like me there. I think.

I whispered the last part. A smile formed on his face and he looked at Anya, who flinched under his gaze.

- I think it's possible for tomorrow, I'll call them after I've finished eating.

L - Very well, then We'll go tomorrow.

●●●

A head nurse named Wendy began to speak when everyone fell silent.

W - Thank you so much for agreeing to volunteer at our hospital today. I will now go over the duties we'll be asking you to perform. We will have you split up into your families to perform your duties.

I lost myself in thought, imagining the scene where my protagonist was about to kiss her guy. I refocused.

W - Now, if I can have the Forgers clean this dressing rooms.

She pointed to where they were on the map.

A - There's a pool!

Anya pointed at the map.