4.House of Uncertainties

Liora and Jackie sat in the back of Grace's car. Liora's eyes shifted over to Jackie, who stopped talking and looked back at her.

"What?" Jackie asked, making them all look at her.

"You were talking to that blonde from this morning," Liora said, watching as Jackie rubbed her lips together, clearly nervous. "What did she want?" Liora asked.

"Oh! She was like, 'I'm not buying that orphan act! And the girl you were with, she can stay away from Cole too!' and Jackie was like, 'Your bag looks almost authentic,' and then she was like, 'It is authentic,' and then Jackie was like, 'No, it would be stitched, not glued,'" Grace said.

"Yes, it was pretty good," Skylar said, nodding, but Liora just looked at her sister.

"Why didn't you hit her?" Liora asked. Jackie looked down.

"Both of us don't need to jump right into fighting, Rory," Jackie said. "One of us had to be level-headed," she added. Liora huffed as the car came to a stop. Liora quickly said thank you to the two and got out of the car, walking to the porch and stopping to wait for Jackie.

When she was done, the two girls walked into the house to find everyone there getting ready for dinner. "Do you need help?" Jackie asked Katherine, who shook her head.

"No, it's okay. Just take a seat," she said. Liora walked into the room with Jackie behind her. Of course, there weren't enough seats, so they kept making Jackie move, and they had to go get more chairs. Though Liora wasn't hungry, she was going to sit with Jackie until she was done.

Liora stood behind Jackie as she sat in a chair, only to let out a scream. Liora lightly jumped, grabbing whatever Jackie had thrown back. Liora closed her eyes as she felt the warm food cover her in her white shirt that her mother made for her, and everyone laughed.

Liora opened her eyes and looked down. A snake was in one of her hands as the other moved to her top, now covered in red. She was already having a tough day, and this didn't help. She could feel the tears welling up in her eyes.

It hit her like a brick wall, everything did. She was really here, having to start a new life in a new place because her family was gone. They were gone, and that's all it took for the tears to fall. One fell, then another.

"Rory?" Jackie said, her eyes looking over her top. "Oh Rory, we... we can get it out," she said, moving her hand to pull the noodles off her top. Liora set the snake down and wiped her eyes.

"Oh my! Are you okay, Liora? Can I help you?" Katherine said, looking at the two. Liora just walked away and looked back at her sister.

"I want to go home," Liora said quickly, going up the stairs, with Jackie quickly behind her.

"No, it's fine!" Jackie said, running after her. Liora went straight to the bathroom and took off her top, zipping up her jacket as she tried to get the red off the white shirt.

"Rory," Jackie said, but Liora just shook her head.

"It's never going to come clean," Liora mumbled, her eyes fixed on the sink. "Why would they even think that was funny!?" she said, her voice getting louder.

"Look, I know the top meant a lot to you because Mom gave it to you," Jackie said, but Liora cut her off.

"Yeah, it did! Mom gave it to me the night she died, Jackie!" Liora hissed. Her sister looked at her in shock at what she just said.

"You saw them that night?" Jackie asked, looking at her.

"Yeah, I did. They... they came back, Jackie. I forgot my dance top, and I texted her. She didn't go back to the house to get my top but gave me this one. Then she kissed my head and told me that when I was done, she would be there to pick me up and that she would text me when she got home, and... and," Liora stopped and looked away.

"She never texted, and she didn't answer me back. I stood there on the sidewalk for 2 hours, and I didn't want to bother you with whatever you were doing, so I called Uncle Richard, and he said he already had you and that he was coming, and the next thing I know is you were hugging me, crying, saying they were gone," Liora said. Jackie looked down.

"It was the last time I saw her," Liora said, tears falling down her face. "And because of me, we don't have our family, we don't have a home, or someone that really wants us there," she said as she looked at Jackie, and then at the open bathroom door, that made her close her eyes. There was no way they didn't hear.

"Rory," Jackie said softly.

"Look, it's fine. I'm going to walk to town and see if they have a dry cleaner here, okay? You clean up," Liora said, walking down the stairs to see Cole standing there.

"My mom wants to pay to get it cleaned," he said. Liora shook her head and grabbed her bag.

"I can pay for it," Liora said, putting on her boots.

"Okay, then let me drive you," he said. Liora looked at him before nodding as they both made their way to the car.