Chapter One ☆ A

_____

“Hello, welcome to Banners Bakery. How can I help you?” Ashlyn asks. She has a small and fake smile. Only because it is required, and even though the chances of her being fired is little to none, she would prefer not to be lectured. Thank you very much.

But wow, just looking at this guy is giving her a headache. He has blond hair, red eyes, and pale skin but a dull looking outfit. It's just a plain dark green shirt and black sweater. He still gives off 80’s roller rink carpet vibes nonetheless.

“Hi!” The guy smiles, not a normal one either actually, it's kinda creepy looking to tell you the truth. He looks over the menu behind her as he shifts foot to foot for a minute. “Can I get a piece of apple pie, a chocolate chip cookie, and a small apple cider, please?” He looks behind him before back at her.

“That will be ten-fifty. How will you be paying today?” She stifles a yawn as she types in his order. It's been a pretty quiet day, not that it is ever particularly busy, mostly just the regulars. Instead of replying, he just pulls out a small worn brown wallet and sets a ten and one dollar bill on the counter near her, looking behind him once again.

“Okay, your change comes down to fifty cents. Can I have an order name?”  She looks up just in time to see him whip his head in her direction, his eyes widen and his shoulders tense before he relaxes again and lets out a breath. He’s still smiling, “Levi.” 

“Okay Levi, your order will be ready in a few minutes.” Ashlyn says before gesturing to where about a dozen tables are. All empty. “You can choose a seat, and I’ll bring over your order.”  Levi nods, looking down at his feet before walking over to one of the tables in a far corner. As Ashlyn works, she can hear him mutter to himself. ‘Weirdo’ She thinks, but nonetheless, she works on his order.

She sets his apple cider on the counter, turning to get the rest. “I can’t tell if he is new or familiar.”  For the record Ashlyn definitely does not jump 6 feet into the air when her mom starts to talk, leaning her elbows onto the register counter and resting her head in her palm as she watches Ashlyn work. “Quiet day?” She asks.

“Yea, he’s only the 6th customer today. Mrs. Fields and Logan haven't even stopped by yet.” Emma nods even if her eyebrows furrow, and she looks at the time “That's odd. They normally come in around 3.” Ashlyn nods before jestering at the tray she sets down. “Be right back.”

Levi has a few papers scattered around the table when she walks over. “Your order.” Ashlyn states lazily and waits for him to move a few papers so she can put the tray on the table. “I’ll be at the counter if you need anything.” Levi nods before he grabs the apple cider.

“Is that a.. cat?”  Ashlyn mutters, looking at the fluffy black ball on the seat. The ball perks its head up to look at her, and heterochromic eyes look back at her. Levi turns red as he says “Yea, she tends to follow me everywhere - are animals allowed? I forgot to ask.” Ashlyn stares at the thing blankly for a few seconds. “Uh, I guess yeah, as long as it doesn’t disturb anyone or anything.” Levi snorts before petting its head. He tilts his head and smirks.

“You wanna pet her? She’s rather friendly,” Ashlyn realizes that she has been staring at.. her for probably too long. “Uh-” Before she can finish, the fluff ball gets up and walks over Levi to her. It sits at the edge of the seat and lets out a small meow. Levi hides a laugh by taking a bite of pie. Ashlyn pats the things head hesitantly.

“Her name is Lee, by the way.” Ashlyn just nods as she finally pets Lee. The door chimes, making her step away. Levi sends her a little wave that she doesn't return as she walks back to the counter. Her mom’s no were to be seen. Even with her sensitive hearing, she can never hear her mom.

“Ashlyn!’’

726 words