Chapter 15: Legilimens

"Come on, Theda. Grab your bag and get in the car."

"Is Daddy coming too?"

"No. We're not going to live with Daddy anymore."

"Why?"

"Daddy... doesn't want to be a daddy anymore. Now come on, let's go to Grandma's house."

Severus watched as Theda's mother secured her into her car seat before beginning the long drive. When they arrived at Sylvia's house, Theda's mother told her to go play upstairs. Theda did as she was told, but after a few minutes, she started shivering violently. She began descending the stairs, planning to ask her mother if she could get her sweater out of the bag her mom had packed.

"I can't do this anymore. I need you to look after her for the time being." Her mother said.

Neither she nor Sylvia noticed Theda listening in from the top of the stairs.

"Well of course I don't mind taking care of my granddaughter, but how long are we talking?"

"I don't know, Mom."

"You can't give me an estimate?"

"Right now I think its better for both of us that I have some time to focus on myself. I can't predict how long it will take for me to be ready to try again. All I know is that you can take better care of her than I can."

Without so much as a goodbye, Theda's mother drove off, forgetting to bring Theda's bag in before she left. Theda watched from upstairs with her face pressed against the window as her hair turned from her natural brown to a dark shade of blue.

The scene changed. Theda looked to be about 2 or 3 years older now. She and her grandmother were in a small hospital filled with about 20 child-sized beds, some of which were full.

"How are we feeling today, Miss O'Hara?" Sylvia asked one of the bedridden children.

"A little better."

"That's wonderful! The potion is working, then. Two more days and you should be good as new. How's that balm of cicana coming along, Theda?"

"Almost done!" She replied from a table she was working at in the corner of the room.

"Excellent!" She said, turning her attention back to the girl in the bed. "I have to have a word with Madame Ingraham downstairs. My lovely assistant will administer your potion once it's ready."

A few minutes later, Theda was removing bandages from the girl's arms and applying the potion to her wounds.

"Are your parents dead too?" The girl asked.

"No."

"Then why are you here?"

"Grandma lets me come to work with her so I can learn."

"Oh. Where are your parents?"

"Mommy's on vacation."

"What about your father?"

"I— I don't know where he is." She admitted. "I'm staying with Grandma until Mommy comes back."

The scene faded away and they were now back in Sylvia's house. They were sitting at the dinner table eating macaroni and cheese, Theda looking as though something was troubling her.

"Grandma?"

"Yes, dear?"

"Do you know when Mommy is coming back from her vacation?"