She awoke with a sharp gasp. Her vision was blurred. She squinted her eyes, trying to take in her surroundings. Around her stood towering trees that could have easily reached 200 feet. The ground was cold beneath her. She started to roll to her side but stopped as the sickening pain in her stomach returned. Grunting, she rolled back and looked down to where the pain was. The black leather handle of the knife stuck out just below her ribs. She attempted the turn once more, successfully getting to her knees. Carefully making sure she did not bend, she stood, taking quick breaths. She looked back down at the knife. This is so stupid. She gripped the handle with one hand as the other lay across her stomach above the knife. With one quick movement, she pulled the knife out, crying out and dropping back down. She put her hand over the wound and stood, groaning. She started to walk west with hopes of reaching shelter before the sun had fully set.

In only 10 minutes, a building began to come into view. The pain had numbed and she became more lightheaded as she continued to walk. She knew it was only a matter of time before she collapsed. She took her eyes off the ground when she heard a bark. Racing toward her was a medium-black dog, its tail spinning like a propeller. She smiled as it reached her. It circled, smelling her feet and legs. It barked happily at her, drool flying. The image of the dog began to fade. Then, her vision was black. She heard the dog yip again seconds before she hit the ground.

He sat at the workbench, fidgeting with the steel barrel. Around him sat piles of black powder and brass casing. He chuckled as the dog bound into the room spinning and barking. "What is it, Sammy?" The dog raced out of the room and returned a few seconds later. After a few times of this, he finally stood and walked over to the dog, patting its head. "Sammy, what?" The dog took off out the door, its bark getting quieter as it got further. He shook his head and followed. He eventually caught sight of the dog again, sniffing at and circling something he could not see. He saw it then as he got closer. The young girl lay in a small pool of blood, unconscious. He picked up his pace. He searched her for injury, finding the knife wound. Her hands were covered in blood from holding where the knife had been as well as her forehead. He slid his hands under her legs and head, lifting her. He could feel himself start to panic more as he moved back to the house with the injured woman in his arms. He had seen her face...... and recognized her.