Chapter Four: For Now

Vanille woke without her previous warmth, laying awake and staring at the empty and wrinkled spot. Cold and barren. At first, she feared the worst, yet she still saw Fang's boots by the door when she sat up.

Getting dressed hastily, she could feel eyes peering into her back. Facing the woman standing in the doorway, who was holding a mug of coffee, she nearly jumped. Holding her shirt over her chest, Fang chuckled softly. "Thought you didn't mind freebies."

Her face reddened in slight embarrassment as she threw on the shirt. "I do when you disappear without a trace."

"Hey, listen, darling. I don't run off. And I definitely don't disappear." Fang set the mug beside the mattress on the ground before sliding her fingers over Vanille's cheeks, rubbing her thumbs over them gently. "I can promise you that.."

Vanille couldn't help but melt at the other woman's touch. Warmth like this hadn't been felt in years, not since her own family was alive. "I believe you."

"Ya better. Because that's a promise I don't intend to break."

A few moments went by like this, Fang nuzzling her and Vanille just holding on with all that she had. She realized very fast that she was falling for the taller woman. Falling fast and hard. Every bone in her body screamed that this was a mistake, that it wouldn't end well. Yet, she still held on for dear life. Fang provided what she needed in just a few hours. Stability, love, and protection. And the thought made her tear up.

Trying to not show any weakness, she shut her eyes hard and buried her face into Fang's chest. Yet the woman seemed to notice, lifting her chin up and planting a loving kiss on her nose then lips. "You're okay.."

"I know." The statement made Fang smile softly, hugging and rubbing her back gently. "I know."

-----

"Taking up smoking, chief?" Amodar leaned against the doorframe as Lightning took a drag from a small cigarette. His voice made her jump, nearly dropping the stick into her lap. She hadn't slept for days, the man could tell.

"Sorry sir.. been going through a rough patch." She put the cigarette out in a small crystal ashtray before putting her head in her hands.

Amodar watched as she used her heel to scoot her chair back from her desk. He stepped forward finally and examined the papers spread out on her desk. Pictures upon pictures of victims lay out before them. All with naked bodies, bound wrists, and a single slash to the throat. He winced upon seeing them. "Claire-"

He recieved a glare from between her fingers as he used her real name. He deserved that, he guessed. It reminded her too much of the past. And she was good at running from said past. "..Light. Might I suggest a detective. I recommend him due to his expertise."

"I don't need anyone's help, Amodar. Now let me work in peace." She was already tired of this conversation. Lightning was a stubborn woman, and there was no way that she was about to let someone else be dragged down into this mess.

"Light." He stood firm however. He was her chief at one point before he retired. He held her icey cold glare from his spot. "You're exhausted. I bet you haven't even eaten today. Not only that, you haven't left your office in three days. I will not allow you to do this to yourself."

She let out a rough sigh and uncovered his face and tilted her head to the side. He was right. If she was going to catch this bastard, she needed an extra hand.

"Bring him in then."