Chapter 21

Benlow was excited by the news and felt the adrenaline surging as the detectives plotted a scenario for monitoring the restaurant that evening. He would be a sole diner in place before the Stein reservation while Uplander and Rich, along with two other officers, would be stationed discretely around the grounds and parking area.

As soon as Benlow identified the suspect they would all move in and apprehend the couple, retiring to the island police headquarters for initial questioning and then, if all was as expected, on to the mainland to face formal charges. Warjowski would be eating his smarmy words before morning.

The rest of the day was spent arranging for all the necessary paperwork for the different variations they might encounter. Calls were made to the mainland to arrange for arrest warrants, and transport also, if necessary. Benlow, on a strong hunch, asked and received further information on van Rugel's financial status, even going so far as to enlist the services of international fund transfer watchdogs.

When the brief notice arrived to his attention that several transfers totalling over half a million dollars were transferred from a numbered account to a joint account in the name of Heidi Tours Caribbean, Benlow leaped up and punched the air with a resounding, YES!

The fax machines kept humming hot with forms and paperwork in triplicate for both police forces, and the mood was abnormally upbeat; it wasn't very often that a possible solving of a quadruple homicide came about with such apparent ease.

ööööö

The taxi pulled into the hedged parking area and made a U-turn, dropping Heidi and Barry off at the front steps of Ruthie's. Barry paid and with Heidi gripping his arm, climbed up to the entry under the thatched roof. Ruthie greeted them with her patented warm welcome, commenting on Heidi's appearance as women do and actually chucking Barry under the chin before leading them to an intimate table overlooking the beach.

"Everything is special so no recital is necessary." Ruthie laughed thunderously, dropped off the menus and chugged away.

Barry studied the menu, reading all the ingredients and extras available with each section. Heidi raised a delicate hand and when the young man swept up to the table she ordered Martinis for both of them.

"I'm not really a Martini drinker," Barry complained.

"Just for tonight, Mr. Stein." She patted his hand. "The ingredients are necessary for stamina!" She laughed as she said it as though announcing a performer.

"A bloody big steak will do more for me than a shot of Vermouth."

"How pedestrian, Mr. Stein. I mean, steak? Here we have the fruit of the sea. fresh to the table. Tonight we will dine on succulent lobster, crab and appetizers of calamari baked and breaded in wine soaked batter."

"How do you know this? You haven't even looked at the menu."

"I was here once before." Her voice trailed away as her eyes lit upon the man seated alone in the opposite corner. Caution born of experience sent a warning tingle of danger across her scalp; Heidi was pretty sure she recognized law enforcement when she saw it. She busied herself with the menu and smiling at Barry, one eye keenly pinned on the lone diner. He hadn't betrayed and signs of interest, but her caution level began soaring, and she patted Barry's hand, smiling.

"Order some appetizers while I go to the ladies room." She fiddled with her purse as she gave the man another perusal and then slid out of her chair. "Be right back," she announced loudly enough to draw the man's attention.

Heidi crossed the dining room and turned down the hallway to the restrooms. Time to cut my losses, she deemed, regretting having to leave Barry around to blab all he knew. She opened a door that led to a storeroom and from there out onto a covered walkway alongside the restaurant.