023 running on spite and fury

RUNNING ON SPITE AND FURY
❝ what do you say? wanna run away with me?

RUNNING ON SPITE AND FURY❝ what do you say? wanna run away with me? ❞

Don't ask me how I got here

Don't ask me how I got here. It's a bit of a blur. One minute I'm in the bathroom at Heyward's, in my Jeep the next – leaving the boys behind and driving worse than my brother as I speed up the main strip – and suddenly, I'm standing in the gravel just outside Tannyhill's gates, trying to talk some sense into myself. It's not working, in case you were wondering.

I don't remember the exact moment I decided to act on my apparent death wish, but once I've made up my mind on something, wise or not, there's usually no going back. This is no different.

It's not a graceful ascent, but I manage to climb over the shoulder-height wall surrounding the property and make my way up the long driveway. It's not until I've reached the front door that I realize I don't have the slightest clue what I intend on doing here. All I know is that my blood runs hot and I want Rafe to suffer for what he did to Pope.

I'll improvise. Not exactly my strong suit, but oh well.

In my rage, my knuckles meet the door with more strength than I knew I had, hard enough to echo through every corner in this mansion. It swings open much faster than I was expecting, and the face I'm met with makes my anger subside slightly.

"Mari!" The youngest Cameron throws herself into my chest and my arms instinctively wrap around her tiny frame, though my demeanor is far from warm and cuddly.

"Hey, Wheeze," I breathe wearily into her dark hair.

"You're back! Are you—" She pulls away, her face falling and her eyes wide with shock as she takes notice of the dark purples and blues painting the skin just below my eye. "The hell happened to your face?"

This child somehow manages to be more blunt than Rafe while still being a million times more tolerable. Incredible.

"Nothing." I shake my head dismissively with a forced smile. "I just had a little accident." I glance over her shoulder, finding just the empty foyer behind her. "Where's your brother?"