Chapter 24 - Date

One day it will all just be a memory

Love waits for you in time to come

Nerves rattled my bones as I approached her house, the sky dark and cloudy. I wished I had a car but with my meager salary it would take me years to afford one. I couldn't even afford to rent a house. So with an umbrella in hand and just enough cash for dinner and a cab I was determined for this night to succeed.

Walking up the patio steps I felt a sharp pain shoot through my stomach that I chose to ignore.

"I am an adult and you are not going to stop me!"

"Jemma I am not stopping you from dating but just not him. Anybody but him!"

"but why Daddy" Jemma whined.

"because I said so please I am doing this for your own good"

Like a deer caught in the headlights I stood on the patio not knowing whether to knock or turn and run. Fate decided for me when the door flew open and a seething Mr. Burns stood in front of me "Jemma go and check on Leila, make sure she's still asleep" he snarled. Jemma opened her mouth to protest but quickly closed it, with one last sorrowful glance she turned and went upstairs. She looked beautiful wearing a flared pink dress. My gaze was torn away when a hand wrapped around my throat dragging me back.

"what do you think you are doing" Mr. Burns growled, his eyes turned golden. My long legs stumbled over the steps, I tried to pry his hands off my neck but even I knew that I was no match for him "after everything I have done for you. saving you. protecting you. this is how you repay me!" he let go and I fell landing on my back. "you have a mate and yet you want to date my daughter knowing full well you can never be with her"

"why...why no-t? why can't I be with her. I am human Mr. Burns" I croaked "Katherine and I can never be together and you know it" getting back to my feet. I gasped for breath.

"the only person whose stopping that from happening is you"

"What do you want from me?"

"I want you to fight Vincent. I want you to be Alpha, your pack needs you."

"I already made it clear. I will not do the spell, I don't want any more blood on my hands" I bent down to grab my umbrella "I was never meant to be Alpha. I was not born an Alpha nor am I of Alpha blood. This is nature's way of correcting what never should have been"

"that's not true, the goddess never makes a mistake, you are destined to be Alpha"

"No I am not. I am now living the life I was meant to live. I will get going now please tell Jemma that I am sorry and I am sorry Mr. Burns, I didn't mean to offend, I probably should have asked for your permission before I asked her out and I do apologize. Goodnight Mr. Burns" I turned and walked away. The sky roared above capping off what turned out to be bad night.

Opening the door to the house, I found Fred and Jacob in the living room with beers in their hands, empty and unopen bottles lay on the table.

"you are back so soon, guessing the date didn't go so well huh. Is it the rain or maybe she changed her mind?" Fred asked

"don't want to talk about it" I sat on the couch next to Jacob and grabbed a bottle and chugged it down

"hey slow down man and what happened to your neck" Jacob inched close as he tried to look at my bruises but I pushed him away. Though he was old, Mr. Burns was still a werewolf. I was only alive because he controlled himself.

"it's nothing"

"you have bruises on your neck Vincent what happened?" Jacob insisted

"what" Fred stood and walked over to us "whoa Man what happened? Did someone attack you?"

"yes...no... it's not a big deal Mr. Burns and I got into an argument and things got out of control"

"Mr. Burns did this to you? oh man remind me to never get on his bad side. Guess he didn't like you dating his daughter huh"

"Guess not"

"it's probably for the best" Jacob chimed in

"but I don't get how he managed to do that to you Vincent you like over 6 fit tall and Mr. Burns is old, the man literally walks with a cane" Fred pointed to my neck

"because I let him. I didn't want to hurt him especially if I ever want to have a future with Jemma" I said saving face with Fred. Jacob knew the real truth, a human was no match for a werewolf.

"so what happens now?" Fred asked 

"I don't know"

"Well tomorrow will be awkward" He said and he was right.

Early the next morning, Jemma came and apologized for her father's behavior.

"I don't know why he reacted the way he did" she complained "I mean am a grown woman, he has no right to tell me who I should or should not date. I can make my own choices" I understood her point but she could never comprehend the other world that her father was protecting her from. "anyway after you left my dad and I talked and....he gave us his blessing"

My jaw dropped" are you sure? I don't want to go against your father"

"Vincent don't worry everything is fine now" she smiled grabbing my hands, giving them a gentle squeeze. We stood outside at the back of the restaurant, the wind blew and a loose curl covered her left eye and I wanted nothing more than to tuck it behind her ear. "so I was thinking that maybe tonight you would like to go out for a movie then dinner... or maybe not we could forget about..."

I placed my index finger on her lips "I would love to go out on a date with you" I chuckled 

"okay then I guess I will see you tonight" she gave a bashful smile, took a couple of steps back turned and sauntered away.

I felt elated the day began on good note. Not at all what I was expecting. But still I needed to talk to Mr. Burns.

"come in Vincent" Mr. Burns said before I could lift up my knuckle to knock. "I know why you are here and yes I gave Jemma my blessing" he said sorting papers on his table "Vincent I love my daughter and I don't want her to get hurt but I also realize that she is a grown woman and she needs to make her own choices" he sighed turning his gaze towards me "promise me you will not hurt her or I swear I will kill you"

"I promise"

"and I do hope you will not regret the decisions you have made"

"I won't"