Chapter 21

TWO AND A HALF WEEKS LATER

"Hi, lovie... can you call me back? I haven't heard from you in a while. I uh... I miss you. Quite a lot actually. I was kind of expecting you to come see me... or at least call me. Give me a call back when you can, angel. I love you."

I end the call and sigh, throwing my phone down. I slowly sit down and run a hand through my hair. My chest and stomach are aching, where I was shot. Whenever I close my eyes I can see that asshole's face, Elowyn's screams and the sound of gunshots. I haven't heard a single word from Elowyn. I've been trying not to think about it, but it's getting harder and harder. I don't remember much from the night I was shot, other than seeing red and losing it when he touched her. The doctor told me I was extremely lucky to be alive. Extremely lucky to not have brain damage.

When I open my eyes, Jenny is in front of me holding a glass of water and the pills I've been prescribed for the pain. The first person I saw when I woke up was my sister. There were tears shed and loads of hugs from both her and my brothers who arrived the next day. I was confused out of my mind when Jenny told me she hadn't seen Elowyn at all. At first, I was scared that I hadn't been able to do my job of protecting her and the gunman had shot her as well as me. I soon found out she was okay when I was informed that she had given the police a report of what happened and worked with a sketch artists to identify the man.

Orlando had visited me a couple of days after I had woken up. He told me that Elowyn had come down with a terrible sickness bug and was resting in bed. I don't know how many times I've called her in the past couple of weeks since I was released from the hospital. I need to know what the fuck is going on.

"You okay, Haz?" Jenny asks, a small smile on her face.

"Mhm." I hum, "A little tired."

Although I'm tired, I have something much more important to do before resting. I need to see Elowyn, make sure she's okay and find out exactly what's going on. There has to be a reason she's avoiding me.

"I just need to pop out for a little while, okay?"

"What?" My sister's eyes widen, "Where? You were just shot, Harry Edward. You should be resting."

"I'm fine." I shake my head, "I won't be long."

I'm wearing black sweatpants and a black hoodie as I pull on my trainers before slipping into my coat and heading downstairs. Once I'm in a cab, I give him Elowyn's address and watch out of the window until we arrive. I reach into my pocket and pull out her bracelet. It was covered in my blood when I got it back from the police. It surprised me that she didn't have it. She told me she loved it.

"We're here." The driver turns around with a smile.

I pay the driver before slowly climbing out of the car. The doorman greets me as I approach the building.

"I'm here to see Elowyn Abbott."

"Ms. Abbott is unavailable. I'm sorry, sir." He shakes his head.

"Is she here?" I ask.

"Yes. Sir, she has requested all visitors to be denied access."

Is she okay?

"Call her. Tell her it's Harry Styles. If she knows it's me then I'm sure she'll let me up." I furrow my brows.

He hesitates before grabbing the phone.

"I'm terribly sorry to disturb you, ma'am. There's a Harry Styles here to see you."

I hold my breath as he nods slowly.

"She said that she's unavailable, sir. I'm sorry." He looks at me with sympathy and my heart drops.

I turn around and leave her building. That's it? No words are going to be spoken between us? She's just going to leave me like this? It's over? She couldn't even see me in the hospital after I nearly died, it's not like I should be surprised that things are over between us.

It's a hard pill to swallow as I walk across the park, trying to keep my tears at bay. I don't need to cry. It was just some stupid affair after all. She was just another woman. I... don't care about her. But I do. I care about her so deeply. She's broken my heart. She did the one thing she promised not to. She's broken my trust too. I've never felt this... betrayed before.

Jenny is watching TV when I get back into my apartment.

"Harry. Thank god. I was just about to send a search party. Where the hell did you go? I was so worried."

I slump on the couch, saying nothing as I stare at the Christmas tree Elowyn and I decorated together. 

"Haz? Are you okay?"

Something snaps inside of me and before I know it, I'm standing from the couch and tearing the paper from each gift as I throw them across the room. The bottle of her favourite perfume smashes. The watch that she got for me is thrown across the room and now shattered. I rip apart ever single damn present here. I can see Jenny staring at me, her eyes wide with concern as she stares at me.

"Harry, stop. You're going to end up hurting yourself."

I yank the ornaments from the tree and then turn to the magazines on the coffee table. I rip the pages from them and go into my bedroom. Anything that belongs to her are thrown into trashbags, Clothes, her hairbrush, makeup and clothes. I smash the picture of us that was on my nightstand and throw it to the floor, shards of glass digging into my bleeding knuckles from punching the frame. I storm back to the kitchen and grab her bottle of wine, throwing it in the sink. I punch the refrigerator repeatedly, bruising my knuckles and breaking the skin. I walk to my office and grab my phone, quickly deleting her contact and any pictures of her and us I had on my phone.

"Harry, you're bleeding." Jenny says.

I look up to see her standing in the doorway, staring at me. I nod, trying to speak but I can't. If I speak, my voice will crack and I can't show her that I'm hurting. I have to be strong for my sister. She can't take care of me anymore.

Did she ever really love me?

For the first time since I was a child, I cry like a baby. 

Why did she leave me?

☁️☁️☁️