3 - The Flight or Fight response

Song: The most beautiful girl in the world By Prince

Maduka

Uncle Udoka's house was a lot smaller on the inside but cozy. Just like I remembered, every inch of the walls in the house was covered with vintage frames of family portraits— joint and individual pictures of family members from different generations. I even found a couple of my childhood pictures on the wall.

When I arrived, my uncle had welcomed me, making sure I was as comfortable. He soon disappeared into his kitchen and reappeared with a bottle of hard gin and a tumbler. The bottle was tucked under his arm, the tumbler was firmly in his grip while he held his local walking cane with his free hand. He sat down slowly and placed his walking cane by his side, against the shabby sofa.

"Maduka, my son. It is good to see you." He said then released a in a deep breath. He began to unscrew the liquor bottle.

"It's good to see you too, uncle." I smiled at him.

As he poured into his tumbler he eyed me and clearer his throat. "I would offer you but your Aunty Ekene tells me you shouldn't be drinking henceforth."

I wasn't surprised. I expected Aunt Kene to go to extra miles to keep up with me even when we were thousands of miles apart.

"My health will be fine, uncle." I assured him. The old man shrugged and took a swig from his tumbler.

"You've been here three days, my boy." Uncle Udoka said as he leaned back into his chair. "How does the atmosphere feel since you were last here?"

"It feels like I don't know anyone here really." I admitted. "It gets really lonely in the mansion. There's no help. And we really need the help."

"You mean like a house help?" Uncle Udoka asked with a confused frown on his face.

"Yes, that." I answered him. "For now it's just Annayo and I. Living with him is unbearable, more so now that it's just the two of us. His mother went to get Chinwe. She should be here by now but she called saying she'll be here next week. We need someone who can cook meals and clean the house."

Uncle Udoka stroked his  white bearded chin and made a tsk tsk sound. "I'll see what I can do about for you."

"Thank you, Uncle." I politely bowed my head even though I was still seated. He raised a hand to wave me off, dismissing my appreciation.

"How old are you now, Maduka?" Uncle Udoka asked.

"I'm twenty-five." I answered with a chuckle.

"You were ten years younger the last time you sat on that very chair." Uncle Udoka said to me. "Now, you are a man. I hope you have done amazing things since then."

"I'm still a work-in progress, uncle." I responded with utmost sincerity. "I did graduate this year though, just last week actually. I majored in Business administration."

"Wow, you don't mean it." Uncle Udoka beamed at me. "Chief would be so proud of you." He beat his chest lightly and continued. "In spite of everything, I am certain Obidike took pride in having you for a son."

"I don't know about that..." I muttered under my breath as I looked away.

"The last time you were in the village, all of you. Your father included..." Uncle Udoka said in his thick igbo accent. "I think it was when your paternal grandmother was to be buried. May she rest in peace." After drawing a sign of the cross against his body, he continued. "I heard so many tales of your behaviour. 'Udoka come, Maduka has done this one, he has done that!' You had a knack for the demolition of your father's properties. A one man wrecking crew! Ah your father would get so frustrated. And I had to listen to his lamentations. I hope you have given up such hobbies, my boy."