Chapter 5

(This is the outfit that you, the protagonist, will be wearing:)

August 23rd, 841

The douche-bag bumped into my shoulder, making me stumble. "Watch where you're going, jackass," he mumbled. I glared at the man as he turned the corner. What crawled up his bed this morning?

I let out a sigh and shook my head. "Did that man hurt you?" I whispered to the child who was fast asleep in my arms. It's only been two weeks since what happened, and I still can't bring myself to name him. I've been talking to him like he's a thing; he's not a thing, he's Lillith's child. Maybe that's why I can't decide on a name; it was Lillith's dream to start a family of her own, but now that she's gone...

I let out a sigh. Right, I need to get going; food won't get in our stomachs any other way. Reaching my hand into my pocket, I could feel my heart drop; there was a hole in my pants pocket, and the sack of coins I had prepared this morning was missing. How did this happen? There wasn't a hole in my pocket before I left the house, but now-

Oh.

Oh Hell no.

I know what happened.

My hands grew tight as I secured the child around my chest, using the blanket as a carrier so I could carry him hands-free. I clenched my fists as I turned around and stomped my way after that man. He knew exactly what he was doing when he ran into me, but I'm just glad Lillith's baby wasn't hurt.

 I cracked my neck by tilting my head to the left, then right. I found the culprit and watched him from a good way away. He was short, shorter than me; no wonder he was hard to spot. The man was decked out in full black attire with a hood covering his head, shielding his face; he knows what he's doing.

Light from the street lamps grew darker the farther I followed him. I had to squint to barely see him, and as soon as I blinked, he was gone. I didn't give up hope, so I continued down the path. The man must have turned the corner; the path was a dead end. All of a sudden, I heard an ear-piercing howl. Immediately, I rushed the rest of the path and turned the corner; a street lamp stood at the end of the path, and I was able to see a group of guys holding a defenseless girl by the arms. The guy who took my money from earlier stood in front of the group with a pair of scissors in his hands; he held a large chunk of the girl's hair. The man looked no older than twenty.

"Awww, look at you! Not so tough now, aren't you?!" the thief yelled. He dropped the hair to the floor and the girl began to sob uncontrollably. 

"You'll pay for that!" she choked out.

"Pay for what, this?" The thief launched a quick punch into her stomach; the girl's breath was knocked from her lungs. The group of guys laughed as the girl gasped for air. I can't let this go any further... That poor girl did nothing wrong.

"Yeah, you will," I announced as I stepped into their view. The leader scoffed as he turned and looked at me. "And who are you supposed to be? Oh, right. You're that brat who got in my way earlier. How about you scram before you and that baby get hurt?"