Out in the open

Summary: When you make the move to Arsenal, none of your teammates know that you and Lotte are dating. How long will it take them to figure it out?

~

You had met Lotte when you were playing against England a little over a year ago. Her being a defender and you being a striker for the Netherlands, meant you had seen a lot of each other that match. When you got on your phone after the match, you had an Instagram notification that Lotte had followed you, you followed her back instantly and sent her a message.

y/n_y/l/n: Good game today :)

She messaged you back within a minute.

lottewubbenmoy: Same to you!

The two of you had started texting back and forth every day since, eventually swapping numbers, to take the conversation off of Instagram. You still talked every day, and had called a couple of times as well.

The next time you had seen her was when you were both back in the UK, again playing against each other but this time she was playing for Arsenal and you were playing for Liverpool. The morning of the match, Lotte had texted you saying that she would be in Liverpool an extra day, and asked if you wanted to grab a bite to eat together. You set up plans with her, before you headed over to the station.

Even though that was the first time you had met each other in person outside of playing football, it felt like you had known each other forever, and it quickly became clear that it wasn't just grabbing a bite as friends, but that it was a date. After dinner the two of you went on a stroll around Liverpool, and after you walked her back to the hotel where she would be staying that night, you kissed her good night.

The next morning you had picked her up from the hotel, and the two of you had breakfast together, before Lotte had to head back to London. It was at breakfast where Lotte had asked you to be her girlfriend, to which you had excitedly said yes.

It has been almost six months now since that day. The two of you had decided to keep your relationship private, at least for now. Not even your teammates knew you were dating each other. Lotte had shared with her teammates that she was in a relationship, since they were quick to notice that she seemed happier, and kept looking at her phone with a smile. She knew they would push until they had their way, so she had said that she was in a relationship but she never mentioned with whom.

Your teammates were less observant, and didn't have a clue of this change in your life. The bond you had with your teammates was strictly professional, while Lotte's team was like family to her. You had heard similar stories from your national teammates Viv and Vic, who both played for the club as well. You wanted to play for a club like that, a club where you wouldn't just be teammates but you would also be friends. In your opinion that dynamic made you a better team. So, when Arsenal's offer came your way, you were quick to discuss it with your girlfriend. Lotte was delighted to have you closer, and was also very happy for you, since she knew that you had been wanting to leave Liverpool for a bit now.

The night before your first training session at Arsenal, you spent at Lotte's place. "Since we'll be playing for the same club now, do you want to tell the team about us?" You asked her when you were laying cuddled up in bed with her. "Maybe we should wait just a little bit, I want them to get to know you for you, and not as my girlfriend first." You agreed with her thinking, wanting to make your first impressions with them without any preconceptions.

Meeting the team had been great, and your first practice went smoothly. You felt at home instantly, as all the girls were very welcoming, and kind. You had asked Lotte if it was okay to wait with telling the team about the two of you until you had earned a spot in the line up, which Lotte didn't mind at all.

You had a few training sessions back at Colney before the team travelled to Portugal, and continued training there. Coincidentally you and Lotte were rooming together, so it was safe to say that one of the beds wasn't used.

It was a lot colder in Portugal than you had thought when you packed, so you didn't bring any hoodies besides your Arsenal ones that were in the laundry at the moment. "Do you have a hoodie I can borrow?" Lotte told you to take whichever one you wanted. Your eye fell on her Carolina Tar Heels hoodie, and you decided to go for that one.

The two of you thought you were hiding your relationship well, but when you walked downstairs for dinner, you had completely forgotten that you were wearing Lotte's college hoodie. Alessia sat down next to you, "I didn't know you went to UNC too." She said with confusion laced in her voice. Sure you wouldn't have been in the same year, but you were only a few years older, so she assumed she would have at least heard of you. You look at her confused, not realising why she would think you went to UNC. Alessia nods to your hoodie, that's when you realised your mistake. "Oh, I forgot I was wearing this, I borrowed it from someone."

Alessia let it go, or so you thought. The fellow striker was smart, and knew that there was only one other teammate in Portugal that went to UNC. So, later in the day she took Lotte aside. "So, when were you going to tell me that you're dating y/n?" The question takes Lotte by surprise. She didn't mind hiding your relationship but it felt wrong to lie about it, especially to one of her childhood friends. So, she explains everything to Alessia. Alessia was happy for the both of you and let Lotte go again.

Lotte quickly made her way over to her room, hoping that you would be there, since she hadn't seen you in the rest of the hotel. When she opened the door and realised that you were inside she immediately started talking, too worried herself to notice that you had previously been pacing the room. "Alessia knows about us, she asked me if it was you, and I couldn't lie to her." She is worried because you had specifically asked if you could wait until you had made the line-up, and she hadn't kept that promise. You step forward and place your hands on her shoulders. "It's okay, it was my fault that she found out. I was still wearing your UNC hoodie when I went to dinner, and she was asking me about it."

"So, you're not mad?" You shake your head, "No, of course not. I do not mind people knowing about us, I just don't want people to think I'm getting special treatment because I'm dating a long time Arsenal player." Lotte had never questioned the reasoning behind your want to keep the relationship to yourselves for a bit longer, as she respected your wishes despite the reasoning. "You've shown the team how good you are in training, and I am sure that no one would ever think you're getting special treatment because you're dating me. We can continue to keep us private however long you want us too though, well private besides Alessia." You thanked her for her understanding, before you asked for some cuddles in bed.

A few weeks later when the lineup for the match against Watford was announced, you found yourself amongst the substitutes, and couldn't be more proud. You were subbed in at the 72nd minute of the match for your Arsenal debut, and were able to add your first assist to your stats.

While you were celebrating the win in the locker room, you whispered in your girlfriend's ear, "So, how do you want to tell the team?" She smiled, "I have an idea, can I tell them now?" You smile and nod.

Lotte takes your hand and pulls you towards Alessia, where she takes her hand as well, pulling the both of you to the middle of the locker room. Everyone's eyes were already on the three of you, so Lotte started. "I know the captain usually does a speech but before we do that I wanted to say a little something. Today y/n had her Arsenal debut, and assisted Alessia on a beautiful goal that got us the win." The team started cheering, clapping, and whistling. "Oh, and one more thing. I know you've all been wanting to know who my girlfriend is." She turns to you and puts an arm around your shoulder, to pull you into her side. "It's y/n." Your teammates are all very happy for you, and a few of them wolf whistle when you place a quick peck to your girlfriend's lips.

Now that your teammates knew, you both decided that you had hidden the relationship enough, so when your six month anniversary came along, you both posted something to launch your relationship to the world.

Now that your relationship was out in the open, you were loving the moments you got to share outside of private spaces. Going on dates together, holding her hand whenever you wanted, kissing her in public. Even the little things were just so much easier now that the world around you knew.