Chapter one

5.30 am

That's the first thing I see in the morning. I get up to get ready for the day, drink two cups of coffee trying to suppress my lack of sleep. I get dressed in my work uniform, put my hair into a bun and pull two strands out in the front. I grab my keys, bag as well as my coffee and get into my car.

I arrive at my first part-time job at a café. I take orders, clean, make coffee, wipe tables off all on repeat until 2 pm. I clock out, change my top in the lockers room and get to college.

First class. I take notes, sketch, write down dates for upcoming assignment and notice how I didn't prepare anything for the one tomorrow. I worry and then get back to working on my art piece. Class ends at 5 pm.

I get home to eat, drop my bag off, clean my apartment and do laundry. I have about an hour before I need to get to my second part-time job at 7 pm.

I get to my workplace. A bar right in the center of the town. I clock in, change into my uniform, take a deep breath and mentally prepare myself for the massive amount of drunk people out there. I serve drinks, clean, wipe, get yelled at by customers, have someone vomit right next to the bar and just let it pass hoping someone else would clean it.

At midnight I fall into my bed after I took a shower.

That's how my Friday went.

That's how my life is.

Thankfully enough I could sleep till 9 am and I did. I take the morning slow, reading in bed before I get up. In the kitchen Bree hands me my coffee.

"What would I do without you?" I say taking the coffee blowing my roommate a kiss.

"Probably die!" she laughs sarcastically.

I would. Bree is not only my roommate but also my best friend. We've been living together ever since we started college about a year ago. After her breakup with her girlfriend of four years we got really close since I helped her through it and that's how we ended up here.

In an apartment in the middle of cape may in New Jersey. I'm in love with our apartment. We have a lot of plants standing and hanging all over the place, art pieces on the walls and light shining through the big windows filling the apartment with warmth. We picked out the furniture little by little in local second-hand shops as well as facebook marketplace.

"How was work?" Bree takes a sip of her coffee.

"Don't even ask! Remember Scott? He threw up right next to the bar!" I drop on the chair In front of her.

"Noo! Did you have to clean it up?" She shrinks in disgust.

I shake my head. "No, I just pretended like I didn't see and then Isaac cleaned it up for me."

"Isaac cleaned it up for you!" She mocks me and giggles.

"Ugh! I can't with you!" I get up to wash the dishes after I take the last sip of my coffee.

My hands hurt from washing dishes all the time. Bree notices my dry hands and the pain on my face.

"Come on'. Let me do it." She pushes me to the side. I thank her and get to the bathroom to get ready.

I only have a night shift at the bar tonight but other than that I can enjoy today. I haven't had that much free time in months and decided to go to the library.

I took a seat in one of the last rows of the library, put my stuff down and started to prepare the assignment for tomorrow. I'm an art major.

Art is what makes me passionate. It gives me the will to keep going. I've been working ever since I left home at 16 and did all that to take art classes. To be able to enter college. To be here doing what I love.

"Look your drawing is great and all but can you move your stuff?"

I was surprised by the tone of someone next to me. I look up and see icy blue eyes focused on me. His eyes look just as cold as his tone was. His hair is black and wavy, a couple of strands hanging down his forehead. He is wearing a dark green hoodie and some denim jeans, pretty casual but it looks good. He looks good.

"Are you done staring now?" He looks down at me and chuckles.

"You wish I was." I say bluntly and move my stuff.

"Took you long enough." He drops down on the chair next to me. I was over that attitude so I continued to draw not even paying attention to him.

It's gotten busier at the library so I decide to take out my headphones and listen to some music while I continue to focus. Until someone takes out my headphone.

"Am I bothering you?"

The guy next to me whispers into my ear. His breath sends chills down my spine. I turn my head to look at him only leaving inches between us.

"You are." I take back my headphone but he stops me grabbing my wrist.

"What? I thought you might want a closer look. You seemed to be really interested before." He tilts his head mocking me while still holding my wrist.

I free my wrist and put in the other headphone. "What a dick" I think to myself.

I can feel him staring at me. After a couple of minutes I take out my headphones and turn to face him.

"Can I help you?" I ask with a fake smile.

"I could think of ways you could help me." He grins.

My smile disappears and turns into a look of disgust.

"Could you stop staring now?"

"Just returning the favor." He reaches for my strands of hair in the front of my face but I stop him.

"Don't touch me!"

"Someone's feisty. Must be a latino." He chuckles before he pulls away his arm.

"Bite me, racist!"

"Oh, anytime and anywhere sweetheart." He says before I grab my stuff to leave for work.

This has been going on for too long and I am shivering of disgust.