Chapter 11

"Here-- do you want the garden key?" You stepped away, frantically feeling around for it in your bag with your clammy hand. Your heart was caught in your throat. Dammit, where is it!?

The librarian growled and thrusted his nails towards you, narrowly missing your nose by a breadth. His teeth gnashing together as he threw his arm back and readied for another attack.

"That doesn't matter anymore, I had to get lectured by him regarding the furniture because of you!" He screamed and slashed the air in front of you. Underneath the anger, his voice carried a slight hint of fear that made your heart clench for a moment.

"I wasn't the one to throw the bookcases around!" You shot back and held out your fire poker.

This enraged him further and he thrusted his arm towards you-- the talons narrowly slicing your cheek. You yelled and swung your poker at his wrist. He was thrown off-balance, stumbling backwards with his arms outstretched to the sides. Before he could react, you butted him in the stomach with the poker. He fell backwards and you raised your poker to stab him in the heart.

As it was about to pierce him he swung his leg at your ankle. A flash of pain ran through you as you fell to the ground-- not having time to cry out. A sharp crack ran up your back and you gasped. The librarian growled and struck his claws at your face. You rolled to the side in time to avoid them-- feeling the talons racing by your cheek. They plunged into the ground and he struggled to yank them out.

You swung your foot at his knee, causing him to jump back. Readying another attack, you aimed the poker at his shin. The librarian smacked it out of your hand. Time seemed to slow down as it flew over the railing and clattered to the ground-- right in the middle of the library. You quickly ran downstairs before he could take another swing at you.

"Get back here and pay!" The librarian roared and began to give chase-- his footsteps sounded like the thunderous roars of a demon as he slashed wildly. The staircase felt like it stretched out for an eternity before you finally saw the last steps.

You nearly fell flat on your face when you reached the last step. Your aching feet felt like fire as you began to run. Each step was more painful than the last. Your pounding heart felt like needles were being stabbed into them. Each breath you took felt like you were swallowing pins. Despite the pain, you didn't dare to stop as he clawed at you.

Adrenaline raced through your veins. Your weapon was almost fifty-feet away from you. The librarian growled and ran faster; his claws nearly inches away from you. With a scream coming from him, the chairs and tables began to block your direction. With a grunt you jumped over a table. Your legs felt like they were on fire as you picked up your speed.

Just a little more! You panted as large beads of sweat clung to you.

Your poker was another twenty-feet away from you. You gritted your teeth and ran faster despite the shooting pains in your feet. In a quick motion, you picked it up and leapt over another table.

"You--!" The librarian screamed and raised his hand in the air.

The bookcases slid in front of you from the side and formed a wall. You skidded to a halt-- nearly hitting them before taking a sharp right turn.

"You can't run forever, you little rat!" The librarian's screams echoed off of the walls. "I'll drag your death out!"

You jumped over a table and threw a chair at him. It hit him in the chest-- nearly causing him to fall. He roared and ran even faster. The library warped into a narrow hallway that seemed to stretch out for an eternity. Even more bookcases and other furniture moved in front of you to slow you down. You leapt and slid through them. Your body felt like they were being stabbed with white-hot pins all over-- sweat clung to your back like fleas as you ran.