NINE.

"Don't bear such a scary look on your face," Y/n nudged the Crown Prince, "if looks could kill, my sister would be dead by now."

The anxiety and growing fear in him had still not settled; and as he sat—side by side, unfortunately—with Aristidis, he kept one eye on his sister and Claude. They seemed...to be going along well. Just like the game stated; Angelina had managed to beat Claude in a particularly difficult mana spell; which triggered a rivalry between the two of them. The classic academic rivals to lovers trope, except that this game route would inevitably lead to death.

"You keep looking over at them," Aristidis said in a surprisingly snappy tone, "so why shouldn't I glare at them? They are a bother."

Y/n swallowed. His mood..was erratic, to say the least. Hm. Was this a late side effect? Was he jealous of Claude? Was his affections for Angelina blooming belatedly?

No.

Y/n knew it was a flimsy excuse for him to avoid the glaring truth—Aristidis was jealous of Claude. Because of him.

"You said a Prince had to have manners," Y/n kept his voice light, "I don't see any of them now." He knew the only way to stop this situation was simply to stop looking; but how could he, when even a little wrong move could set the world spiraling down? Instead, Y/n discreetly stole glances that Aristidis could notice.The gleam in his eyes only seemed like it was darkening; and Y/n knew he had to quickly divert the situation; and what seemed to be possible doom for Claude.

Y/n leaned closer to the Prince, his voice dropping to a whisper.

...What exactly..could he say?

"Thank you for..just now—I mean the whole guiding thing, the whole carriage thing.." Y/n fumbled over his words, "I really appreciated it."

Aristidis raised an eyebrow, but he seemed to relax.

"Just saying that to ease the tension, are you?" But a smile tugged at the corners of his lips—"you have always been a sly one."

The last words were said affectionately.

Fondly.

But Y/n smiled inwardly, relieved that he had successfully diverted Aristidis's attention away from his jealousy.

But still..

As the day progressed, Y/n found himself growing more cautious and observant. He couldn't shake off the feeling that danger lurked nearby, and he had to protect both Angelina and Claude from the impending threat—the threat that was called Aristidis. It was annoying; in a sense, and Y/n was still rather nervous about the fact that the yandere affections Aristidis once had..was now targeted at him.

But of course; there was still an element of tameness. Their relationship was still eons different from what Angelina and him once shared—at least now, there seemed to be...light-heartedness. Fondness. Genuine affection. In the game, Aristidis had treated Angelina—like an object; not caring for her well-being but simply wanting her to stay by his side.

During lunch break, Y/n decided to approach Claude discreetly. He excused himself from Aristidis's company, claiming he needed to speak with a classmate. With a quick glance at the Prince, Y/n made his way towards Claude, who was sitting alone at a table, engrossed in a book. Claude had shining golden hair; and deep blue eyes. He was good-looking, as befitting from a male lead—but after witnessing Aristidis's own good looks as well as his own, Y/n had grown immune to it.

"Hey, Claude," Y/n greeted softly, taking a seat across from him.

Claude looked up, surprised. "Oh, Lord Livio. What brings you here?" In the game, Livio and Claude had rarely interacted; though there was a sliver of respect between the two.