Chapter Three

I had let out my emotions and now I was ready to go for a walk and try and familiarise myself with my new area. I put in my AirPods and started walking, before long I found myself in front of a recording studio and wondered if it were the one that Ruel was at after he mentioned having to record today, that was until a low blood sugar hit me like a truck and of course I didn't bring my back so I had no choice but to walk inside and ask if they had anything I could eat which of course made my anxiety skyrocket. I cautiously opened the door, the little bell ringing alerting the girl at the front desk of my entrance, to my surprise it was Ruel's sister Coco which of course made matters both a little worse and a little better. "Kailani? what are you doing here?" she questioned. "I umm shit, do you have anything sugary like juice or soft drink or lollies or something" I stuttered and a concerned look washed over her face. She disappeared behind a wall for a moment before returning with a bottle of apple juice, handing it to me and guiding me to a couch to sit. "Is everything ok you don't look so good?". Shit. She was onto me but I didn't really have a choice I had to tell her for my own safety. "Not really. I'm having a low blood sugar" she just looked at me blankly unsure what I was on about "I have Type 1 Diabetes. I must've given myself a little too much insulin and then I've been walking and it just hit me like a truck". Her face dropped more if that was even possible, just when I thought I was safe, I read Ruel's familiar voice coming from the hallway and instantly freaked out. "Coco listen you can't tell anyone I don't particularly like people knowing please just don't say anything" I pleaded to her hoping that she wouldn't spill. Before she could reply Ruel and two other men emerged from the hall Ruel instantly recognizing me and making his way over to where Coco and I were sat. "Kailani? What are you doing here"? I froze I didn't know how to reply without either telling him or making a fool of myself with some lie, thankfully Coco was fast to react "She's here to look at some singing lessons, you heard Nanea and Lola say she likes to sing they told her she should look at some lessons, ya know so she could possibly make a career out of it" I shot her a grateful glance and she squeezed my hand in response. "Cool well I'm done for the day so imma go home, Kailani want me to walk you home?". "uh yeah sure and you guys know you don't need to use my full name you can just call me Kai". I got up glancing at my phone and seeing my sugars were rising, "bye Kai I'll see you later" Coco waved goodbye.

As we were walking Ruel started talking, "Ya know I think it's cool that you wanna get some voice lessons". He looked down at me as he talked because I'm 5'3 and he is a fucking giant. I didn't look at him as I spoke, "After hearing Coco tell me how much they are I don't think I'll be able to. Mum doesn't have a new job yet, she spent most of the divorce money on the house and Lolana grew up in the city so she has expensive taste, also when we both dance pretty much full time I don't even know if I'll have time so" I looked straight ahead, it was true, I dance 4 days a week Lola dances 6 days a week and she wants to go to Brent Street. I'm not going to lie and say that we are broke but when mum doesn't have a job at the moment, there's three people to feed and clothe and she's spending thousands of dollars a month on dancing and then with the bills added on top it's a lot, then there's the added cost of me. Even with Medicare, NDSS, and health insurance, it was still pretty expensive which it shouldn't be because I literally need some of these things to fucking live. "If you ever want to just sing with someone other than yourself and recordings, you can always come over to my place. I'm sure Coco and Sylvie wouldn't mind and I like to go live on Instagram and just sing you could do that with me. You wouldn't have to show your face if you didn't want" I don't think any boy has ever been this nice to me not even my own father. "I would love that". I looked up at him for the first time since we began walking. I wouldn't be lying if I said that I was both extremely excited but also shitting myself at the same time.