chapter six.

_______________________________________

clef

Sylva was one of Clef's favorite skykids.

That was saying something because while Clef liked most of the people he encountered, he tended to have horrible luck when actually befriending them. He was always too shy or bumbling, talking too much or too little, and rarely felt comfortable. That was unless he was absorbed in his work, or - for some unknown reason - when he was around Sylva.

Unfortunately for him, this fact didn't stop Sylva from showing up at the most random of times and demanding his attention for the strangest of tasks. Like she was doing now.

"Please, Clef?" Sylva asked, blinking those wide silver eyes of hers. It seemed unfair that she could do that, could blink a couple of times and make him instantly willing to oblige her.

Usually, at least.

Today she'd shown up with four strangers tailing behind her. Four skykids he'd never seen, didn't know, and didn't really trust.

Currently, one of them sat pensive beside a pool of water, marveling at the clarity of it. Another was stretched out on one of Clef's cots, poking at a bandaged leg whilst watching the final two, who were arguing loudly about something that was, as far as Clef could tell, irrelevant.

"You're the best builder there is," Sylva was saying, oblivious to his distraction. "I could help. So could they. Probably." She shot a frown at her companions before turning back to him. "Just one boat, Clef. You've made dozens."

He sighed, setting down the chimes he'd been fixing and taking a seat on one of the stone blocks piled around. "Why do they need a boat?"

"Well..." Sylva's eyes darted away before returning to his face. Clef narrowed his eyes. Whatever it was, he wasn't going to like it. "You know those little black things that may have kidnapped a couple skylights?"

"Yes," Clef raised his brows.

"They're going to hunt them," Sylva said with an easy shrug. "And they need a boat to do that."

"Sylva!" Clef gasped. The blue-clothed skykid glanced up at his cry, and he gave her a tight smile before lowering his voice. "That's an insane idea. They'd die before they got close."

"I know," she fidgeted with one of the dangling portions of her hair. "But I know the twins, and once they set their minds to something, nothing in the seven skies can stop them."

"So you're going to help them with this?"

"No! Of course not. We're going to help them with this." She beamed at him. "You're in, right?"

"It's way too dangerous," Clef protested. "We should try and keep them safe, even if it's not what they want."

"What about what I want?" Sylva asked, voice suddenly soft. "Come on, Clef. Almost everyone I know is gone. All of the skylights who used to live in the forest... All gone. If there's a chance we can save them, or even a chance to make sure those beasts don't hurt anyone again... We have to try."

Clef closed his eyes, remembering the beasts that had appeared out of nowhere. Only a few skylights had lived in the Wind Paths, and now there was only one. Him.

"They came here too," he mumbled. "Everyone's gone."

"Oh, Clef... I'm sorry." Sylva's eyes turned misty as she hugged him, her small body warm against his. He sighed, hugging her gently back. "I didn't realize. I thought maybe, since there were so few skylights here-"

"It didn't matter." He shook his head. Emotions were building inside of him, tears springing to his eyes. He blushed, embarrassed that he was getting worked up in the presence of four strangers. "I guess... I want to help. I'll help you."

Sylva smiled, relief warming her face. "Thanks. I knew it was a good idea to come to you." She gave him another hug, one so brief that he didn't have time to return the gesture, but warmth flushed through him all the same.

As she skipped off, calling to the others, he sighed at himself. It didn't matter how ridiculous Sylva's demands were, nor how dangerous. In the end, no matter what, he would always choose her.

So Clef adjusted his goggles, stretched out his arms, and set to work.