Illusion Shattered

Key:
"Word" = HxH language
"Word" = Tanjiro's language

"Word" = sign language

'Word' = HxH's language thoughts
'Word' = Tanjiro's language thoughts

——-——-——-——-——-——-——-———Third P.O.V

"Unhand me, demon!"

His voice bounced off the walls, and Gon winced at the desperate plea.

"You know I can't do that, Tanjiro. Calm down, nothing you see here is real." Kurapika spoke, his tone steady.

Hopefully, Tanjiro would be able to hear his voice and regain his senses.

But nothing ever goes his way, does it?

Instead of having a calming effect, Tanjiro just seemed to get more aggressive. He twisted his body, and used gravity to bring them both to the floor, and after a quick scuffle, Tanjiro had the upper hand.

Kurapika was now trapped between the concrete floor and Tanjiro. His friend had twisted his arms behind his back, leaving him face-down.

"Stand down! We don't want to hurt him!" Kurapika ordered, as Gon paused mid-step.

Gon grit his teeth. He didn't want to see his friend suffer any longer. His plan was to knock Tanjiro out by sneaking up on him, and then whacking him on the head using his fishing rod.

What he hadn't taken into account was Tanjiro's keen nose. Even if he was under the influence, his sense of smell would never betray him.

"Hey! Snap out of it! If you fall here, what would your sister think?" Gon yelled out, desperately trying to fix the situation.

Tanjiro's grip faltered, and his breathing slowed.

"Sister...Nezuko?"

Another foreign word fell from the swordsman's mouth, but instead of being disheartened, Gon's eyes lit up.

"Yes! Your sister, Nezuko! You wanted to find her, right? We can do it together, so just let us help you!"

The illusion shattered.

Tanjiro blinked his eyes, adjusting to the light again.

"Wha- Kurapika?! What was I doing?" He sounded horrified, his mouth dropping open as he quickly stood up, pulling Kurapika with him.

"Hey, hold it steady. I'm not sure what you saw, but it should not be taken lightly." Kurapika sternly lectured the boy, forgetting for a brief moment about the red head's lack of understanding of their language.

Tilting his head, Tanjiro tried to recall what had occurred, but there were blanks in his memory.

"You...well, it isn't important now. We should get going, and quickly!" Gon signalled to Tanjiro.

Kurapika sighed. If this...drug had affected Tanjiro to this extent, what would Leorio, who had been here longer, be like by the time they reach him?

"I will be confiscating your sword. As a precaution." That was not a question, it was an order. And without arguing, Tanjiro gave up his only possession.

As they resumed their walk, Kurapika hadn't let go of Tanjiro's hand - but it wasn't awkward. It wasn't a romantic gesture, but it was attempt to ground them both to reality.

——-——-——-——-——-——-——-———
Some time ago - Third P.O.V

Every step he took was excruciating.