Ch. 1

I felt so free, being able to stretch my wings and fly through the sky. It had been a long time since I was able to do so. Humans had been hunting my kind for a long time. And with the rise in Raydos a decade ago, the hunting became even more fierce. The very thought that some humans, against their will, could become bound to dragons seemed to terrify the common folk. Though they never seemed to learn nor care that the humans would also die, should their dragon counterpart perish. All they cared about was that the "monsters" were slayed. However, contrary to poplar belief, we dragons were much like humans. We had emotions, human forms, and we also feared death.

Since the wars of old, there hadn't been a Raydos born. The humans had either killed them all or sent the rest into hiding. I was alright with that. I never much cared for the legends of my ancestors. Being bound to a human? Sounded like the worst thing ever. My kind were a prideful sort, which included me. Being forced into proximity with a lesser species, especially one who tried to make my kind extinct? I would rather die myself.

I landed gently at the entrance of my cave, ready to rest a bit. But an unfamiliar scent alerted me to the presence of another on my mountain. It was...the scent of a human. No mortal ever dared enter this area. Even if they did not know a dragon resided here, the very presence of me chased them away. Their senses were not anywhere near my level, but prey always know when a predator is near. So it was super unusual for one of them to be in my territory. I was curious and wary. I needed to see for myself why this human was here and to chase them off. I didn't want ANYONE to know where my home was.

The human seemed to be a male, though it could sometimes be hard to tell with their kind and the amount of clothing they wore. Their bodies were so fragile, after all. The frigid temperatures of my mountain would kill a human without any covering. It never affected me. My normal body temperature was much higher than theirs. And even if it wasn't, I could breathe fire at any time. To be honest, I was a bit impressed. My mountains were the coldest in the area. And there had been rumors of a dragon in these parts. I couldn't help but admire the bravery, or perhaps stupidity, to hike all the way up here. But why? What could this human possibly gain?

I simply waited until they climbed up to me. I was not going to go to the human. That was a kind of weakness to me. I would never chase someone. I would make them come to me. Besides, this way, I could make an ambush. Catch this little human by surprise. To do so, however, would mean transforming into my human form. It was something I rarely did, as it make me weaker and more like THEM. But, if this human was simply lost or did not understand the danger, perhaps this form would make them less aggressive and more likely to leave.

I leaped down from my rock, landing directly in front of them. "Who dares enter my territory?" I said.

The human froze, staring at me with wide eyes. "W-wha-"

"Who are you? Why have you come here?"

The human...bowed to me. "I apologize. I did not realize this place was occupied, fierce dragon."

So, they were aware of dragons. That was something at least. "If you were unaware, then why are you here? No humans come to this place. Certainly without the knowledge of my residing here."

"I am...not sure." They seemed uncertain.

"What is your name, human?"

"I am called Tristan."

"Why do you not know why you have come, human Tristan?"

"Ever since I was a child, my eyes have been drawn to this mountain. I have had dreams of it. I knew exactly what safe path to take. And, a few weeks ago, I could not resist the urge to come here. I know not why."

I was curious. Humans could have magic, of course. But this did not seem like any human magic I knew of. It almost seemed like the tales of the Raydos I'd heard from my parents. A kind of connection that grew stronger as both dragon and human reached maturity. But that was impossible. They were no more of them and would never be another.

"Um..." The human shifted, keeping his eyes cast down. "May I ask your name, O Mighty One?"

I blinked, curious. I rarely spoke my name. I had not even seen another dragon in decades. "The dragon tongue may be too difficult for you to speak. And I know not what to translate it to. The closest I may come up with is...Brisingr."

He began to sway a bit. His skin also seemed to pale a bit. To be honest, I didn't feel so well myself. I felt weaker than normal. And my neck began to burn hotter than any fire I could make.

"Human, are you alright?"

He began clawing at his neck. "M-my neck..." Before my very eyes, a mark began to appear on his skin. A sigil I recognized all too well. Yet I refused to believe it. My knees felt weak and shaky, a feeling I was unfamiliar with. I was not used to feeling so...human. Right before he collapsed, I managed to get my arm under his head. If we truly were Raydos, the last thing I needed was for him to be injured. With my last bit of strength, I managed to carry him into my cave before I too fell unconscious.