Chapter One: Musings of a Duke

***********************************************************************************************

AN: Welcome to Potter & Black: The Hogwarts Years. I am basing my story on both things from the books & movies, as well as my own ideas. I will be changing the timeline a bit to fit my story.  If you don't like it don't read it! It is as simple as that!

***********************************************************************************************

The Rhys estate was a sprawling manor put under so many charms, that made them almost seem paranoid. Located in Wales, right on the beach, generations of the Rhys family had grown up in the manor, and added to its charm. Though, the manor seemed to be a waste, seeing as there were only a small handful of Rhys family members alive.

After the first and second Wizarding Wars, the once large Rhys family had been whittled down to the main branch and a small off shoot. His parents, his siblings, and his two uncles and their families all of them dead as a result of Voldemort and his death eaters.

Duke Theseus Rhys, the current head of the Ancient and Noble House Rhys, was one of the only surviving child of Duke Buchanan Rhys and Duchess  Isolde Rhys (nee Scamander).  His father and mother had been killed during Voldemort's more obvious rise to power in 1974.

His father was once the Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, and was a known and proud blood traitor, like his family had been for centuries before him, and his mother, while a Scamander and a Malfoy, she was just as outspoken about being a blood traitor, and was a "filthy half-blood".  Their death had been quick and sudden, and Theseus, who has been twenty-five at the time was thrust into being the head of his family and caring for his five younger siblings.

Which, four out of the five of them had died, he had felt like a failure. His twins brothers; Riven and Jace, who were four years younger than him, died two years after their parent's death. Only months apart. Riven died first, he and his wife, who had only been married for a few years, were killed in their own home. Riven sprawled out on the floor, the first line of defense, left lifeless by the killing cure, while his wife, died cradling her swell stomach. She had only been weeks away from birth.

Jace died about five months later. He had been a hit wizard and a member of the Order of the Phoenix. He had died in a skirmish between himself and a few death eaters. The only slight comfort was that he took a few horrible bastards down with him.

Then there was his younger brother Miles who died at twenty-three a years later in 1980, having been killed by a Death Eater attack. Miles, had been a healer, and a member of the Order. He had been ambushed by some Death Eaters, and killed for information that he would never give up.

Then most recently, in 1983, two years after Voldemort's downfall, people started to relax and not jump at the shadows anymore, and didn't really think about Death Eater attacks, or deaths being spread in newspapers.