Chapter 7:The Writer

Naomi...

"You're back," my father smiled as we walked through the door.

My sister, Brodrick, and I had landed an hour ago from our trip to New York and decided to check on Dad in the office before we got home.

"How was New York?" He asked.

"It was great!" My sister said. "Had a blast."

Of course she did. For the three days we were there, she was barely at the hotel.

My dad turned to me waiting for an answer.

"It was, meh," I answered.

"What? You didn't have any fun?"

"Nope."

"Noelle you said you would make sure she had some fun."

"I tried Dad," my sister answered, "but she never wanted to go anywhere with us."

"So you and Brodrick left her alone and went out?" He asked and my sister bowed her head in shame.

"Dad it's fine, the places they were going to weren't my vibe anyway," I said, "I got to spend a day with grandma though, so that was great."

"How is she doing?" He asked.

"Being a fighter as always," I answered and he nodded.

"So," he looked at my sister and Brodrick, "How did the mission go?"

I squinted at the three of them. What mission? We went to New York on a mission? What was going on in the campaign that required a mission? That's when the possibility of it being about me and Brodrick came to mind. Did they really think that taking me to a whole new state would change anything? I rolled my eyes.

"There was a setback," my sister answered and my father didn't seem too pleased with that outcome.

"But we're still working on it," Brodrick butted in.

"The door is still open for possibilities," My sister added.

Maybe this wasn't about me and Bridrick, because my dad seemed a bit more pissed than usual. Then again, he has been on edge since he decided to run for Senate.

"How's the campaign going Dad?" I asked. "Is there anything for me to do?"

Being the communications coordinator for the campaign was a lot of work, and I honestly didn't want to do it. But my dad wanted everyone in our family to be a part of it and this job, at the time, seemed like the easiest.

"Things have been a little quiet here, but it's about to get hectic," he answered. "There's a few things that you need to do. I emailed it to you, so you can check it tomorrow morning."

I nodded and I watched as he collapsed on the couch in this office.

"Maybe it's time for you to go home Dad," I said. "It looks like you need some sleep."

"Yeah Dad. We can all take a break for the rest of the night and start again tomorrow."

"No," he shook his head then sighed, "I have way too much to do."

Terrence Washington was the hardest-working man I know. And from the stories I heard from my mom, he was always like that. My dad grew up in the Bronx at a time when things were pretty bad there. He didn't grow up in the best home, financially, but his mother always made sure that they were taken care of and that they were at school. She always said that school was the only way they could get out. My dad believed that to the core and worked his ass off. He wanted better for his current and future family and wouldn't stop until he got it.