65. LUCAS: THE MISSING PIECES

I was too distracted by their smell to enjoy Silas's reaction. The bloody bandages had been taken care of but the smell still lingered, or maybe I was the only one smelling it. I wasn't hungry, I just. . .wanted a taste. I knew that Ariana's blood tasted just as sweet as it smelt.

Swallowing, I forced my mind away from the thoughts of sinking my teeth into her slim neck and focused on what was happening.

"His mother is Avery," Ethan repeated as he entered the room and pushed the door closed behind him.

"Jesus Ethan," Silas growled after blinking a few times. "What the hell are you doing h-here?"

"No one saw me."

"You don't fucking know that!"

Ethan glanced at Silas, the twins and then finally his eyes locked on me. For a moment his eyes darted over me from head to toe before his eyes locked with mine.

Are you okay? they questioned.

My lips parted but one glance at the twin's pale cheeks made me change my mind. I gave him a nod instead and remained silent. Seemingly satisfied with my answer, he walked over to the desk and placed the folder down in front of Silas.

"Will they be staying?" Ethan asked as he tilted his head towards the twins.

"They're staying," I said before Silas could answer. "They have a right to know."

He growled. "You don't—"

"I agree," Ethan interrupted him. "They're old enough to know the truth."

"Ethan—"

"Check the file, Silas." He ran a hand through his hair. "That's everything I could find. You'll have to ask Wrin to dig deeper. She made sure to cover all her tracks."

Walking over to the couch, Ethan took a seat between the twins. I straightened, intent on sitting with them, but Ariana glanced up, making me freeze.

Fuck, I wanted to show her how much I had missed her, but I couldn't. Not yet.

"They found the pictures taken on Ottawa Island," Silas said softly. "They know that we. . .had the same mate."

"You were both mated to Mom," Eva whispered. "Was it a mutual decision or—"

"They're brothers," I interrupted her. "None identical twins."

"Uncle Ethan?" they questioned simultaneously with something that sounded close to excitement.

I blinked. Their reaction was not what I expected and based on the expression on Ethan's face, he hadn't been expecting it either. There was some disbelieve with a hint of excitement.

Before I knew it, I was smiling as I listened to their animated chatter as they questioned him. Ethan answered them as best as he could but it was easy to tell that he was a bit reluctant to answer some.

My skin prickled, making me aware of the pair of eyes watching me. The smile slipped away and my brows dipped into a frown as I turned my head to look at Silas.

I was taken aback by the look in his eyes because he wasn't staring at me with the hatred l had grown accustomed too.

"Luca."

The room fell silent.

"I can't believe it." A laugh fell from his lips. "You've been under my nose the whole time. You're alive."

My frown deepened. A glance at the other revealed that they were staring at Silas in confusion. Well, not Ethan. He was looking at me with a small smile playing around his lips.