Chapter Three

George woke up from a banging on the door behind him. It rattled his head. He quickly reached for his gun and held it close to his chest. He waited for a sign that it was his friends. The doorknob shifted and that was all the proof he needed. Fungus was too dumb to open doors.

George leaped up and opened the door. He flung himself on top of the person who jingled the doorknob. George flinched when the person didn't hug back. He slowly pulled himself away, scared that this was a random looter.

George looked up and calmed down when he saw emerald green eyes staring right back at him. He smiled and grabbed Dream's wrist. He led his friend into the storage room with the outline of Sapnap following behind. He closed the door and locked it before turning to his friends.

He was only gone a day, but he missed them every time they left him. "I was scared that you guys weren't-" George was cut off by a harsh strike across his face. He immediately raised his right hand to cup his face.

"What the hell man!? We go out to get you medicine and you fall off the face of the Earth for five days! We came back and you weren't here. We scavenged this whole town looking for you. We thought you were dead!" Dream scolded George for his mistakes.

"I left a couple minutes after the both of you. I came back the same day. Where the hell did you get five?" George asked, rubbing his face.

"You went out!? You know damn well your leg isn't fine and you went to town alone? You could've gotten yourself killed. We came back from our supply run and the whole gas station was swarming with zombies. They were inside the store even! We slept on the roof of houses hoping you were in here and alive." Sapnap yelled angrily.

George knew they were being too loud. "Shut up! I know I messed up, but you are going to wake up the kids. If you want to scold me, you can do it in the morning." The brunette snapped harshly. He was tired and in pain. They could get onto him later.

"Kids?" Dream asked carefully. "You didn't. We can't keep them. That's more mouths to feed and they are a liability. Kids aren't made for the apocalypse. They died off fast for a reason. You are going to get yourself killed trying to keep them alive." Dream mumbled annoyed with how unrealistic George was acting. He felt like he was telling his sister off all over again.

George felt himself grow tired of the situation. He knew that Dream was right, but he was mad. He was mad that he was underestimated. He felt an overprotective urge grow in him for the kids he took in. He didn't actually care for them. But he was spiteful and wanted to prove them wrong. He would keep those kids alive just to show Dream that he isn't as weak as he treats him.

George scoffed before laying down and passing out for the night. He felt a small smile grow on his face when he saw a pair of icy blue eyes and a pair of army green staring at him from above. They were listening. He was going to prove them all wrong. He was getting those kids home whether Dream and Sapnap liked it or not.

"I'm getting them home. I don't care if you don't want to. I will do it alone if I have to." George owed Wilbur and his friend's opinions wouldn't stop it from paying off a debt. In an alternative universe, George carried Wilbur back to their makeshift camp and nursed him back to health. The three of them left and George got word by mouth that they made it and were safe. Maybe in another, George was stronger and picked Wilbur up quickly without hurting his leg. He carried them to safety with the grenade stopping anything from following. He gave Wilbur a proper burial.

He could imagine everything he could've done right, but what's done is done and George can't turn back time. This was the first night he didn't fall asleep next to Dream.

George woke up with a pain in his neck. He was still sitting up from the night before with his gun in his hands. He could barely see in the dark storage room. There was no telling what time of day it was as there were no windows.