Chapter 25

Ben's good fortune shone through as a silver Toyota departed, freeing up a prime parking spot directly in front of his sister's new apartment. As he emerged from his car, a surreal feeling enveloped him, causing time to seemingly slow down and granting him the opportunity to take in the surroundings. A wave of déjà vu swept over him as if he had once observed the scene from a higher vantage point. Puzzled by this sensation, he quickly rang the doorbell and hastened up the stairs.

Carina welcomed him at the doorway, arms outstretched as she took a step back. "Tadaaaaaaaa, welcome to my new home," she said joyfully.

As Ben entered the apartment, a jolt of recognition shot through him. His gaze swept across the living room before settling on the kitchen. "I've been here before," he exclaimed surprised, gesturing towards the two closed doors. "The bathroom is on the left." He moved towards it. As he opened the door, his heart raced, confirming his suspicion.

Carina's voice trembled with confusion. "What... What's happening?" she inquired, her irritation palpable as she watched her brother stride into the kitchen and run his hand over the countertop.

"I... I believe I've been in this apartment before," Ben confessed, his gaze locked on the oven. "I... I've been here before."

"Someone named Elle lived here," Carina remarked, as she settled onto the couch.

"Elle?" Ben repeated, his gaze shifting to his sister.

"Yes, she was quite lovely. Maybe there was a spark between you. Perhaps a spontaneous encounter fueled by alcohol, a passionate hook-up, and you made a hasty departure in the morning."

Ben rolled his eyes. "I don't engage in those kinds of encounters," he grumbled, then turned back toward the kitchen. "But I could swear I used to cook here. More than once." He pivoted and opened one of the wall cabinets, catching a faint whiff of spices that stirred an indescribable sensation within him - a blend of love, joy, and mischief.

"I know, Mr. Romantic, you never embark on an adventure unless your heart is involved. Anyway, she's not your type," Carina continued, unfazed. "The complete opposite of Rebecca. I mean, Rebecca was quite pretty, but Elle was stunning. All those freckles and such incredibly... deep eyes."

Surprised, Ben lifted his head. "Freckles? Was she... a dark blonde?"

Irritated, Carina gazed at him. "Um, yes? Why?"

"I can't quite put it into words," Ben responded, nervously moistening his lips. "But I need to leave."

***

Upon returning home, Ben settled onto the couch, mulling over the possible importance of the woman who shared the name of his song. He also reflected on the striking similarity between Carina's description and the woman from his dream. The unexplainable sense of familiarity within the apartment left him bewildered. "Alright, let's hope you're a bit more forthcoming this time," he murmured, closing his eyes.

Ben found himself standing beneath the expansive canopy of a majestic lime tree in the heart of a park. The gentle caress of an autumn breeze danced through the air, carrying with it the crisp, cool essence of the season. The surroundings were adorned with the early signs of fall, as the leaves began their graceful descent from the branches. While the reason for his presence in the park eluded him, the familiarity of the location was not lost on him; it was here that he had first encountered Rebecca several years ago.

"It's all connected, Ben." The woman's gentle voice made him flinch, and he pivoted to meet her gaze. She stood before him, and once more he was engulfed by the sensation of familiarity. His eyes traced the contours of her figure adorned in a breathtaking yellow summer dress.