4. August Slipped Away

Chapter Playlist
1. invisible string: Taylor Swift
2. august: Taylor Swift
3. Memories: Conan Gray

There was one more week of August, Max and Mike had been getting along extremely well. Robin and Steve had continued pushing them together to "Speed up fate" and by the looks of it, it was working.

To give you a few examples of their master plan in action, Max and Mike had been spending a lot of time together.

On the 4th of July Steve and Robin scheduled Max and Mike to work late and close up together in hopes they'd end up hanging out for July 4th celeberations. It was dark outside, Mike was finishing up in the back and Max was shutting down the computer.

Max: I think we're all good Wheeler.

Mike: Yeah cool let's get out of here.

Max locked the door and turned to face Mike.

Max: So... What are you up to now?

Mike: What am I up to? Now? Oh um I-

Max: Fourth of July and stuff I was just wondering if you had plans.

Mike: Plans... Yeah totally I have plans. What about you do you have plans?

Max: Nah I'll probably be able to see the fireworks from where I live anyway.

Mike: Oh right... Do you want to hit the fair and see if it's any good? I mean it's okay if you don't want to it's probably lame and stuff and-

Max: I thought you said you had plans?

She smiles, catching him in his lame attempt at a lie.

Yeah I'd like to go. Even if it is lame.

Mike: Oh right cool yeah.

The pair walked down to the fair. It was a warm but breezy evening, the high street was pretty much a ghost town seeing as everyone in town was at the fair.

Max: So do you know if Dustin and Lucas are going to be there?

Mike: I suspect Lucas is there with his family. No clue about Dustin, maybe?

Max: Hhmm cool.

They make it to the fair and immediately see Dustin and Lucas together.

Mike: Thanks for the invite guys.

Dustin: Shit Mike I thought you were working sorry.

Mike: Oh how come?

Dustin: I saw Max the other day and she said Steve and Robin had you two working late tonight.

Max: Yeah we only just got out.

Lucas: How is the job?

Mike: It's fine.

Max: It's okay.

Dustin: Well that's lame. Do you not have fun at all?