Chapter 4

How I got here is a blur but what I have to do is clear as day. Surviving is all that matters, even if I have to kill to keep living. At the end of the day being crouched behind this dumpster is better than Azarath, no one trying to kill me.
        The sound of footsteps has me grabbing a broken beer bottle, ready to stab whatever comes my way. As young as I am, my hands have been stained with blood before and I'm not afraid to do it again. The steps get closer and I grip the neck of the bottle tighter, its broken body razor sharp at all angles which will without a doubt puncture an artery if I aim right.
        As the creature rounds the corner I'm met with brilliant jade green eyes. No one moves and it's hard to tell if either of us are breathing. Before me is a young boy with curly dark brown hair and tan skin, appearing to be slightly older than me. His clothes are tattered and baggy, his body too thin for the fabric. He's just staring at me with an unreadable expression, gazing down at me as you would a rabid animal that you would be cautious of.
        "Don't you know this place is dangerous? Why are you here?"
        His voice is cracked, definitely dehydrated, but still manages to have a soothing effect despite the harsh tone. I just observe him, the first person I've come in contact with since escaping Azarath besides hunters. My staring seems to have irked him as his face morphes into an agitated look.
        "Hey, are you stupid or something? Get lost before you end up trafficked or dead!" He snaps and I finally shake off my trance.
        I rise to my feet from my hiding spot and begin to walk away, not muttering a single word to him. However I'm stopped, a hand tugging my wrist backward.
        "Wait a second, what happened to your clothes? Why are you covered in blood?"
        I glance down at my sheath dress that has been torn, the cloth covered in dirt and blood, no longer appearing the bright white it once was. I've been in the same clothes since leaving my home after the mob came for me, attempting to rid the world of my existence.
        Looking at the boy again I simply shrug and try to brush him off. He doesn't let up though and I can't help but notice as his eyes soften a little the longer he stares at me. His grip loosens but not enough for me to wiggle out of his grip without using my heightened strength, which could potentially hurt him.
        "Where are your parents?"
        I glance away, not liking the mention of my creators. Parents are the last thing they are, the saying of anyone can be a mother and father but not everyone can be a mom and dad being the only way I can describe them without degrading them. Even recognizing them as anything other than sergets would be an insult to my upbringing.
        The boy nods in understanding and pulls me back to my previous hiding place. He looks around before giving me his full attention, his hold on me disappearing and my grip on the bottle still steady.
        "If you plan on sticking around then you need to know the rules of Crime Alley."
        I narrow my eyes in confusion before he continues.
        "Always keep your head down, stay in the shadows, never make eye contact or look at anyone for too long, don't trust any adults because this place is crawling with pervs and addicts, make no deals with anyone, and most of all never ever draw attention to yourself." He explains, his gaze practically burning my pupils with how hard he's looking at me.
        I nod meekly, slowly backing away from him. He realizes and grabs me again, yanking me back to him.
        "There is no need to be afraid of me." He sighs, running a hand through his messy hair. "Look, Gotham is a 'fend for yourself' kind of place but kids stick together around here. You can trust them, you can trust me."
        I nod again, still suspicious of him and he sighs again.
        "I'm Jason, Jason Todd. From this moment on we are allies, friends with a common goal."
        He holds out his hand to me and I eye it cautiously. Not sensing any lies from him, I drop the bottle and place my hand in his, shaking his hand softly. A smile breaks onto his face and I just know with him I'll be safe, no idea why but I just do. When our hands separate we notice the sun setting and he curses, odd for a boy but I guess living here will do that to you.
        "I've got to go, find some place safe and warm to lay low in. I'll come find you tomorrow, I promise, stay safe..."
        He trails off as he doesn't know how to address me.
        "Nevaeh, I guess you could call me Nevaeh."
        He flashes me another smile.
        "Got a last name, Nevaeh?"
        I pause for a moment, my mind blanking and just saying the first thing on the top of my tongue.
        "Raven."
        "Then see you tomorrow, Nevaeh Raven." He grins.
        And with that he runs off, leaving me alone in the darkening alleyway behind the dumpster. I sit down on the disgusting ground and try to wrap my head around what just happened. The feeling of my skin tearing catches my attention, my left wrist burning. It's like someone has stabbed me and is dragging it down in a specific direction, my flesh feeling like it's on fire.
        Gazing down my eyes are met with two letters being engraved onto my wrist, my skin absolutely raw. Reading the letters I realize I'm screwed, never having expected to get my mark so young or for me to have a match at all. I reread the letters again and my heart automatically skips a beat.
        JT.
        The initials of my other half, my person, my soulmate. The soulmate I have been fated to love even in death as I was created solely for them. The soulmate that was right in front of me a matter of minutes ago. The soulmate that smiled at me and offered friendship.
        The soulmate that...made me feel safe.
        My soulmate, Jason Todd.