A short story

So, the sun can falter.
At least that's how it feels now.
Did Dream hear right?
"What did you say?"
The brunette sits curled up on their couch, arms wrapped around knees that are pressed to his chest. "I miss home."
His heart quakes in his chest. "This is your home, George."
What's said next is almost a whisper. "I know."
Yet what's got him looking so blue?
"Talk to me."
Dream needs to pry. They've lived together for over a year now and it's been a blast. Hectic. A whirlwind. And he's addicted. Of all the people to meet on the internet and integrate into his life, he's struck gold with two of his best friends, George and Sapnap.
Moving closer, Dream drapes his arm across the back of the couch. Close to George, but not touching him.
"You can tell me anything."
George bobs his head in agreement. There isn't much that's left unsaid between them when it's just the two of them.
The older one keeps his gaze glued to the floor as if the answers may be written in fully formed and coherent sentences.
Thoughts and worries plague Dream through the heavy silence.
Have the DNF jokes gotten to him? Has it gone too far? Both of them haven't mentioned it in a while. At this point, they've both hooked up with other people, and despite some of those butterflies in his stomach, he's reigned in his crush. He used the reasoning that sometimes the  best of friends trapeze that line between platonic and romantic, and that he personally struggles knowing where those lines are strung up.
Does George miss his mom and dad?
"I can buy you a ticket home."
"Maybe."
George finally speaks and he's hesitant to take the offer? Not that he's complaining. He was secretly pleading George to shoot down the offer.
Dream gazes down into warm eyes clouded with... something.
Is it fear? And if so, why?
"Dream..."
Why does his name sound so good coming from him?
"I'm... I don't know how to say what I need to say."
A snort escapes Dream. "Sorry. I can see that. I'm not sure how to help you."
Big brown eyes dart from his to the floor and back again.
"I love it here."
A genuine smile tears across both their faces.
"I'm glad."
What else is there to say?
"But I need to leave."
Dream blinks, trying to comprehend what he's hearing.
"You can't."
Dream isn't the demanding type.
Well okay, maybe he is. But for good reason.
George's smile warps into a cross between a fake smile and a sob. Is his face broken?
Dream knows his heart is, shattering into a void that's open below in his chest.
"Why?" He manages to croak, ripping off his cat beanie to run a hand through his mess of curls. The gesture does little to comfort him.
George swallows. "It's embarrassing."
"Try me."
Dream moves closer, staring intently into his friend's face.
"Dream, please."
Sitting up, he takes a deep breath and trains his gaze to the tv that's not on.
"Why, George?" It's hard to keep his voice steady. To keep his breathing normal when it feels like it's all coming down on him.
"I love you. But I'm not gay, I don't think. I don't know if it was all the DNF shit that got me confused. Or the empty hookups. Or living with you." The last part comes out breathy.
Dream can't resist looking at George whose face is now tucked into his knees.
"I love you too."
Dream means in it an unlabeled, willing to see where it could go, way.
"How can I breathe if you're not here, George?"
"What? It'd be a nightmare?"
The mocking tone should lighten the air, but it doesn't.
"I didn't sing those songs about Sapnap..."
They'd never addressed the music. Dream had hoped George would believe the shit he'd spun for fans while simultaneously praying his best friend would pick up the hints.
"The chain, the fake kiss, the watch..."
George swallows hard. "I can't pretend they haven't meant so much to me, too much."
Suddenly he wants to grab his friend and pull him into his lap. To change the trajectory of this conversation. But how does he do this while respecting George?
"I've dated people before.."
"So have I," George says defensively, shoulders crunching together.
Holding out his hands, Dream gives a tight lipped smile. "I know. I wasn't implying you didn't." This causes the other to relax some. "What I was going to say is I've dated people before. And while I've gone on dates and other things, the whole time all I've cared about was coming home to you. Cared about being with you."
George risks a glance in his direction and Dream swears it almost makes him swoon.
"I think I'm homesick for something I've never had..." George says sitting up a little. Brown eyes dart from eye to eye as if each one will give him more courage to continue. "Love. I have it here but I'm not sure it's mine to have, ours to have. I guess I'm... scared."
Now Dream is the one to swallow hard.
"Love is scary," he finds himself saying.
"Yes. And... I'm not really sure how to be gay."
Dream would laugh. But this is George, the one who can barely say the word aloud, openly confessing his love.
"I love you, George. I can't keep you here but I'd do anything to try."
"Like what?" The words are a goddamn taunt; a playful smile flickers across the other's face.
"Are you asking for a demonstration?"
What is happening? Dream considers pinching himself. The heart that felt shattered to bits moments ago is now sloshing blood to pound in his ears.
"Maybe."
He moves closer, and gently pulls George's hands away from his body, unfurling him.
Now tucked into Dream's side, he tilts his head down and tips George's chin to him.
Brown eyes flutter closed as their lips come together.
When he finally pulls away, Dream's head is buzzing and George gives a delightful 'hmmm.'
They sit frozen in this moment, studying each other's faces.
"So you'll stay?"
George nods. "I think we might have just found a cure to my homesickness."
Dream is determined to cure him fully and leans in again, deepening the kiss.
He'll keep at it until George is fully his and mended.

——
Author Note:

I hope you've enjoyed this little short story. I've got an upcoming book release, a gay millionaire romance. While that's getting the final polishes, I'll be busy writing little stories that are just for fun :)
Take care 💚💙
Ash