The Sweetest Encounter Part 1

Vanessa immersed herself in the intensity of her work, the busyness of daily tasks providing a comforting escape. Her sisters, ever-present companions, offered a safe space and shared moments of joy, their laughter becoming a medicine for her wounded spirit. Despite the looming absence of their father, his imminent return became a beacon of hope in the midst of Vanessa's routine.

In search of peace, Vanessa frequently sought her beach, a place where the the music of waves and the gentle caress of the sea breeze soothed her troubled mind. she was searching for the melody that she once heard before, but nothing.

One ordinary day, as she navigated the familiar path to the market, a vibrant interruption disrupted her thoughts. A vision in the pinkest, pouffiest dress she had ever laid eyes upon halted her in her tracks. This beautiful woman exuded an aura of elegance, with blonde curls that bounced playfully, sparkling blue eyes that held an ocean's depth, and a radiant smile that could rival the sun's brilliance.

The encounter unfolded like a scene from a storybook, with Vanessa captivated by the stranger's presence. The vivid hues of the woman's attire seemed to defy the ordinary, an enchanting contrast to the mundane surroundings. Their eyes met, and Vanessa felt a spark of curiosity mingled with surprise.

"Are you Vanessa?" The young woman's voice, sweet as a lullaby, carried the question, and Vanessa, taken aback by the unexpected attention.

"Yes, I must get to the market my sisters are waiting for me," Vanessa surprised with this interaction reacted as so.

"Oh sorry! I won't keep you, but my name is Lucille, and I have been looking for you," Vanessa realized who she was speaking to. She wanted to run away. She wanted to hate her, but how could she? Look at her. She was perfect. Everything she wasn't. Now she understood. The young woman kept carrying on with her questioning.

"Well now Samson talks so highly of you, but he hasn't had time to introduce us yet with all the wedding planning. Well long story short I just really wanted to meet you," She smiled sweetly. This made Vanessa so angry that she couldn't hate her.

"Wow, Lucille I am so glad you came to say hello," Vanessa tried so hard to sound genuine.

"I should let you go get to work, but please meet me for tea tomorrow morning before work. I will send a carriage to fetch you, and take you to the markets, so you won't be late! Please say yes." Lucille pleaded making it hard to say no.

"I would love to!" Vanessa puts the fakest smile on her face. She couldn't bear the thought of tea with Samsons betrothed. Lucille nodded and skipped away. Vanessa realized the time it was and rushed to her stand.

"Why are you so late!" Mary jabbed at her sister only being a minute behind.

"Oh stop, I was stopped on the way," Vanessa snickers back.

"Stopped? By who?" Eliza said curiously.

"Lucille," Vanessa responded trying to sound aloof so her questioning would come to an end, but her sisters were curious.

"Samson's betrothed? What did she want?" Mary replied with an overly dramatic frustrated voice.

"Yeah she wanted to meet for tea," Vanessa snickered and rolled her eyes.

"Oh what a witch!" Eliza laughed sarcastically. The three girls giggle and continued with their work.

Once the day was over Vanessa started to dread saying yes to Lucille. She could've said she was busy. Anything to get out of it. What would she even wear? She started to put something together. Something that would be proper enough for a lady like Lucille. He's marrying a lady. Not her. She remembers that he didn't pick her. It started to hurt again. She grasped her purple shell that she found at the beach to find the bit of solace.

She could sleep that night. Tossing and turning. And sooner rather than later the sun came out. She just got up and watched the ocean fog. The brisk breeze woke her up enough. She started getting ready. Her best dress she made by hand, hair up in a tight updo, and some lip color her sister made her for her birthday that she uses on special occasions. Soon she hears the carriage at the front. She sneaks out before her sisters could catch her. She hops into the carriage. She felt silly when she tried getting into it without realizing there was a step. When the carriage took off she realized that she never belonged in this world even though she wanted to so bad.

They arrived, but she was so scared. She got out of the carriage and walked in. Lucille was there to greet her. Vanessa was hoping not to see Samson.

"Goodness that dress is magnificent! Where did you get it?" Lucille asked so sweetly. Vanessa didn't know if she was being sincere or joking.

"I made it," Vanessa said shyly looking around the big house.

"Tea will be served over here," Lucille glides over to the sitting room overlooking a big window with a view of a beautiful garden. Vanessa follows and sits down across from her. Vanessa grabs the tea and starts sipping away waiting for a topic of conversation to come up.

"So tell me how did you meet my betrothed?" she inquired softly.

"Our fathers worked together and I helped out with his mother before I took over at the market," Vanessa bragged feeling like she had something to prove Lucille.

"Wow that wonderful! Childhood friends! You two must be close! What has he say about me?" she asked smoothly. Vanessa has caught on. She is snooping into Samson's path. Vanessa wasn't sure if she should tell the truth— he didn't mention anything about her other than he didn't love her.

"Oh just the usual: beautiful, sweet, and a light in the darkness from his long travels," She wasn't sure why she lied to Lucille like that. To make up lies about his love for her. It was cruel to Lucille and herself.

"Woah, I cannot believe he said that," Lucille blushes.

"I can't image being loved by him like that," Vanessa looks down.

"What do you mean Vanessa?" Lucille looked confused as to why Vanessa seemed jealous.

"Oh I mean to be loved like that," Vanessa tried to play it off. The two young women stared at each other in silence trying to decipher what was just said.

"Vanessa?" a faint familiar voice echoed in confusion. Both young women look over and sees Samson. Vanessa got emotional. Before Lucille could explain Vanessa explained how she needed to get going.

"Please take the carriage Vanessa I insist," Lucille begs.

"I— I can't," Vanessa runs off. She runs towards the markets. It was quite the distance but she couldn't stop. It all was too much. Tears running down her face. She ran all the way to her sisters. They both opened her with wide arms. They looked at each other and nodded.

"Go home Ness," Eliza said. Both of her sisters knew where she was and what could've happened, but didn't want to ask any pestering questions let her go. Vanessa didn't hesitate to take them up on that offer.

She walked all the way back home and didn't know what to do. She grabbed her shell she put in her pocket that morning and decided to go to her beach. Her secret place. She approached her house but a familiar figure sat at her doorstep waiting for her. Samson. What was he doing here. She walked to her door ignoring he was there and walked into her house. She needed to get to her beach. She couldn't deal with this drama. Samson stormed in begging for her to acknowledge him.

"Vanessa what were you doing with Lucille this morning?" He asked. Nothing she said Nothing.

"Lucille was quite after that. Did tell her about the kiss?" Vanessa still ignoring him.

"VANESSA!" He shouts. She turns to face him. Looks him in the eyes. Tears made her eyes red and swollen. He examined her. Her beautiful dress, hair up, lip color, she dressed up. He knew her love of that world, the luxury. He saw the one person he knew the most in this world was brokenhearted because of him. He hated himself. He couldn't sleep. He knew he loved her, but Lucille. Vanessa stood there while he looked at her.