𝑷𝑹𝑶𝑳𝑶𝑮𝑼𝑬

|DARKEST HOUR|

prologue

1981

The ministry was deserted, the only people Andromeda had seen since arriving via floo was the woman guiding her, the same woman that had woken her and Ted in the middle of the night, with news of her sister's and her husband's arrest just hours earlier. But that was not the message the woman had been sent to deliver...

Andromeda had been the family member the ministry had picked to take custody of the boys Bella and her husband had left behind. She had only known of the first, Rodolphus II who was Nymphadora's age, but apparently, she had had a set of twins almost two years ago.

"They're just inside, Mrs. Tonks," the woman directed her into a room in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. The lights in the room were dim, but she could clearly see the outline of three children asleep in a large cot. Rodolphus, had his two brothers asleep on each side of him, but he was wide awake with silents tears falling down his face. "I forgot to mention, but the oldest one is to be placed with your younger sister, someone was sent to inform her. We have found, while he has been here, that he has...behavioural issues...that you with three children on your hands would not be able to handle."

Andromeda did not believe for a second that that was reason the oldest would not go home with her. Someone must have pulled some strings to get at least one of the boys—of course, the oldest, the heir. Thankfully, the youngest, too young to be indoctrinated into the pure blood teachings her sister must have already drilled into Rodolphus II, were going home with her. It was painful to think that he was damned to be raised by a hateful person as Lucius, but at least two other boys would be saved from it and would be raised knowing nothing but love and kindness—Andromeda just hoped it would be enough...

"You're not taking my brothers," Rodolphus spoke. "I know who you are. Mother told me you married a mudblood...betrayed the family." Andromeda remained still, unable to answer.

"Your other aunt will be here to pick you up shortly, but Pollux and Castor need to go home with Mrs. Tonks," the woman tried to reason with the boy, but he just pulled the twins closer to himself as they started to wake.

"I said no!"

"Take one, I will take the other," the woman instructed. It was a hassle, but they managed to pry the two boys from their brother. Rodolphus wasn't sad, he was just angry, Andromeda could see it in his face—so much anger. It scared her—she had seen it before.

"Who am I holding?" she asked as the door closed behind them, cupping the head of one of the twins as he fell asleep again with his cheek on her shoulder.

"That's Pollux, I have Castor."

Ted was waiting for them on the armchair near the fireplace when they arrived. The two toddlers were awake and fussing, quickly ramping up to full cries, started by the floo trip and Andromeda was doing everything she could to soothe Pollux, and holding him close seemed to be doing the trick, but Castor's cries were getting louder. Ted swiftly casted a silencing charm around the room to keep Nymphadora asleep. "What about the oldest? I thought they were three," her husband questioned as the woman from the Ministry handed him Castor.

"Rodolphus is going to Narcissa," Andromeda informed as she watched him rub Castor's back. He nodded in understanding.

"Well, I have to return to the Ministry, but someone will come by tomorrow to arrange the monetary situation. We were informed that each of the boys have a vault at Gringotts. They should cover their expenses," the woman told them as she stepped back into the floo. Before they could blink, she had the powder in her hand and was reciting the words that would take her back to the Ministry.

"These poor boys," Ted spoke.

author's note...
Thanks for reading. :)