Her Emerald Eyes

She laid in his arms as she bled, her blood seeping into his garments, staining crimson his cloak, his shirt, soaking through the legs of his trousers as he knelt for her. Her mouth moved but he couldn't hear her voice, her hand reached up to caress his skull; he kept it there, not wanting to let go. Her emerald eyes glinted up at him with the same gaze that he'd seen in them everyday, a gaze reserved only for him, a gaze no one else has ever given him, a gaze that had always put him at ease, that had reassured him of something he couldn't yet understand or name. A gaze he vowed to cherish, for she had never given them to another.

She smiled up at him, blood dripping down her chin. The glow in her eyes dimmed and died out. He felt a terrible pain wrenching within him; it reminded him of the pain he felt when he lost her for the first time, but if he had thought that was horrible, it was nothing compared to the calibre that was torturing him now. He wanted to call her name, but the pain choked his words. He couldn't breathe.

Then her body shimmered, and glitter began to rise, as if she was evaporating into specks of gold. She was still smiling, peaceful and carefree as he was losing her, bit by bit. How can you be so cruel? Then even that was gone, and a breeze carried her away.

No. He crawled towards the dust, got up, ran after it—it was like running underwater— he tried to grab even one single speck of her, but she was unreachable. The pain within him exploded, and brought him down to his knees. No. He could only reach out and beg for her to stay, but she only drifted farther and farther away, forever unreachable. No.

No.